Coupling Saturation in the Nonlinear Theory of Parametric Decay Instabilities
An understanding of the nonlinear stage of parametric instabilities is needed to predict the anomalous absorption of the pump mode in laser or microwave interactions with a plasma. The waves excited in the linear stage of the instability grow up from thermal noise until some nonlinear mechanism limits their growth resulting in a saturated (perhaps quasi-steady state) level of waves.
KeywordsPump Wave Langmuir Wave Nonlinear Saturation Decay Instability Strong Pump
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Y. Kuo and J. A. Fejer, Phys. Rev, Lett. 29, 1667 (1973) Google Scholar
- 2.V. V. Postovalov, V. P. 3ilio, and V. T. Tikhonchuk Gb. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 65, 1880 (1973) [Suv. Phys. JETP, 38 938 (1974).] The nonlinear enhancement of - is given by PST as avoid confusion, the reader should note that “i”(k) as defined by PST is not the same as our.Google Scholar
- 3.D. B. Kudomtsey, “Plasma Turbulence” (Academic Press, N.Y. 1965 )Google Scholar
- D. Z. Sagdeev and A. A. Galeev, “Lectures on Nonlinear Plasma Tboory” (Benjamin, N.Y., 1969 )Google Scholar
- V. N. Teytvvich, “Nonlinear Effects in Pluama” (Plenum, N.Y, 1970),Google Scholar
- 4.D. F. DuBois and D. Bezzerides, “Nonlinear Theory of Parametric Instabilities ”, Los Alamos Report LA-DB-75-727 (to be published November, 1976) It is shown here that the present type of weak turbulence theory does not apply to the modulational or OTS instabilities.Google Scholar
- V. E. lakharov, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fis. 62, 1745 (1972), [Soy. Phys. JETP 35, 908(1972),]Google Scholar
- 6.D. F. DuBois, Phys. Fluids (to be published) “Space-Time Formulation of Plasma Turbulence Theory”, Los Alamos SciutiIic Laboratory Report #LA-UR-75-726. To be published, Phys. Rev. A, November, 1976.Google Scholar