Polymers from Hydrogenated Polydienes Prepared with Neodymium Catalysts
The hydrogenation of various diene homopolymers and copolymers prepared with lanthanide coordination catalysts was investigated. The lanthanide-initiated polydienes which have been studied include: cis-1,4 polybutadiene, cis-1,4 polyisoprene, random and block cis-1,4 copolymers of butadiene and isoprene, cis-1,4 poly(2,3-dimethyl butadiene), and trans-1,4-poly(2,4-hexadiene). The hydrogenated products were characterized by 13C-NMR and infrared spectroscopy, melting temperature, glass transition temperature (Rheovibron), thermogravimetric analysis, density, intrinsic viscosity and gel permeation chromatography. The physical and mechanical properties of these hydrogenated polymers as well as the relationships between polymer structures and polymer properties are discussed.
KeywordsTriblock Copolymer Diblock Copolymer None None Random Copolymer Parent Polymer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. W. Moberly, in Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Technology, Interscience Publ., N.Y. 1964, Vol 7, p. 557.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Mahajer, G. L. Wilkes, I. C. Wang, and J. E. McGrath, Polymer Prep. Am. Chem. Soc., 22 (2), 138 (1981).Google Scholar
- 8.W. P. Gergen, Kautsch. Gummi Kunstst., 37, 284 (1982).Google Scholar
- 9.H. C. Yeh, and H. L. Hsieh, Polymer Prepr. Am. Chem. Soc., 25 (2), 52 (1984).Google Scholar
- 11.H. Rachapudy, G. G. Smith, V. R. Raju, and W. W. Graessley, J. Polym. Sci., Polym. Phys. Ed., 17, 1211 (1979).Google Scholar