Breath Acetaldehyde Levels after Ethanol Consumption
Breath acetaldehyde levels in human subjects have been determined in the past by the separate collection of breath prior to analysis. Stowell et al. (1979) trapped acetaldehyde in a semicarbazide solution before enzymatic analysis while Forsander et al. (1974) used a cold water trap prior to analysis by gas chromatography. Although trapping of acetaldehyde from breath allows it to be concentrated, the disadvantages of such methods are that the recovery procedures are laborious.
KeywordsAcetaldehyde Concentration Breath Sample Breath Alcohol Blood Alcohol Concen Blood Ethanol Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Couchman, K. G., 1979, Ethanol metabolism in humans. Doctorate thesis, Massey University.Google Scholar
- Forsander, O. A. and Sekki, A., 1974, Acetaldehyde and ethanol in the breath of rats after alcohol administration, Mol. Biol., 52: 276–280.Google Scholar
- Freund, G. and O’Hollaren, P., 1965, Acetaldehyde concentrations in alveolar air following a standard dose of ethanol in man, J. Lip. Res., 6: 471–477.Google Scholar
- Fukui, Y., 1969, Gas chromatographic determination of acetaldehyde in expired air after ingestion of alcohol, Jap. J. Leg. Med., 23: 24–40.Google Scholar
- Harger, R., Forney, R. B. and Baker, R. S., 1956, Estimation of the level of blood alcohol from analysis of breath, Quart. J. Stud. Alc., 17: 1–18.Google Scholar
- Jones, A. W., Wright, B. M. and Jones, T. P., 1974, A historical and experimental study of the breath/blood partition ratio, Proc. 6th Int. Conf. Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety, Toronto, 506–526, ARF publication.Google Scholar
- Stowell, A. R., Crow, K. E., Couchman, K. G. and Batt, R. D, in press, Acetaldehyde levels in peripheral venous blood and breath of human volunteers, in: “Alcohol Intoxication and Withdrawal: Experimental Studies IV, H. Begleiter and B. Kissin, eds., Plenum Press.Google Scholar
- Stowell, A. R., 1977, Acetaldehyde metaoblism in mammals, Doctorate thesis, Massey University.Google Scholar