Voltage Gating in VDAC
The reconstitution of transport systems into phospholipid bilayer membranes was originally undertaken in order to gain new insights into the structure and mechanism of action of these molecular machines. This goal is being achieved as evidenced by the contents of this book. This chapter deals with some of the results obtained from studies performed on a reconstituted channel-forming protein isolated from mitochondria. It focuses on the results that yield information on the molecular mechanism that causes this channel to be voltage-gated.
KeywordsOuter Membrane Voltage Gating Pore Radius Closed State Voltage Dependence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ernster, L., and Kuylenstierna, B., 1970, Outer membrane of mitochondira, in: Membranes of Mitochondria and Chloroplasts (E. Racker, ed.), p. 205, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York.Google Scholar
- Kulkarni, S. V., 1984, Sizing the closed state of the mitochondrial channel, VDAC, Thesis, Department of Zoology, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland.Google Scholar
- Mannella, C. A., and Ratkowski, A. J., 1979, Structure of the pore complex in the outer membrane of mitochondria, J. Cell Biol. 83:270a.Google Scholar
- Mannella, C. A., Radermacher, M., and Frank, J., 1984, Three-dimensional structure of mitochondrial outer-membrane channels from fungus and liver, Proc. Annu. EMSA Meet. 42:644–645.Google Scholar
- Nakashima, R. A., Mangan, P. S., and Pedersen, P. L., 1985, Evidence for a relationship between hexokinase-binding and the mitochondrial VDAC protein in AS-30D hepatoma cells: DCCD labels the pore protein and inhibits hexokinase binding, Biophys. J. 47:238a.Google Scholar
- Smack, D. P., and Colombini, M., 1985, Voltage-dependent channels found in the membrane fraction of corn mitochondria, Plant Physiol. (in press).Google Scholar
- Tzagoloff, A., 1982, Mitochondria, pp. 115, 307-317, Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Zimmerberg, J., and Parsegian, V. A., 1984, Polymer-inaccessible space as a measure of the volume change during channel opening and closing: VDAC channels, Biophys. J. 45:59a.Google Scholar