Factors Influencing Gripping Capacity of Chuck Jaws
This paper presents the results of an extensive programme of research into the factors affecting the gripping capacity of chuck jaws. Various parameters were investigated and from the experimental results a computer program has been produced, enabling the rapid establishment of the parameters giving the ‘best’ grip situation.
KeywordsCast Iron Tangential Force Specimen Material Brake Torque Torque Transmission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Moiseev and Yu I (1981) How forces affect radial offset of parts set up in three jaw self aligning chucks Russian Eng. Journal, 60, 7, 44–45.Google Scholar
- Kuznetsov and Yu N (1981) Developments in collet-type clamping mechanisms Soviet Engineering Research, 1, 2, 54–56.Google Scholar
- Anon An objective comparison of the gripping pressure of the Pratt Garnet chuck (M-4976) and the Collet Mechanism SE-10682.Google Scholar
- Goodchild N D (1982) A study of the dependence of the torque transmission capacity of chuck jaws on radial gripping force. B.Sc. Thesis, University of Nottingham.Google Scholar
- Bowden F R and Tabor D (1950) The Friction and Lubrication of Solids Clarendon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Wilson B (1978) Workholding design philosophy and application Workholding and Toolholding for machine tools seminar. M.T.I.R.A.Google Scholar
- Kalajdzic M J and Soloja V B (1979) Rotational Speed Limits for basic types of chucks Annals of C.I.R.P. 297-301, January.Google Scholar
- Rajeswaren R (1966) A study of some aspects of workholding and positioning in relation to indention and flow pressure M.Sc. Thesis, University of Manchester.Google Scholar
- Dawson D (1967) An investigation of idealised chuck jaw face form with relation to axial and tangential sliding M.Sc. Thesis, University of Manchester.Google Scholar
- Cadwallder J and Pandy P C (1973) The relation between the radial gripping force and the Torque-Transmission capacity of chuck jaws M.T.I.R.A. research report No. 49.Google Scholar
- Bennett A P (1983) A wedge indentation model for the grip of a chuck jaw 24th M.T.D.R. Conf., 355-360.Google Scholar