MRP II: Road to Success or Ruin?
This paper considers what material requirements planning (MRP) is, and then outlines areas which need to be considered if failure is to be avoided and success ensured both when such a system is implemented and run. Future trends in MRP software are outlined.
KeywordsLead Time Production Planning American Production Material Requirement Planning Implementation Failure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Wallace T F (ed.) (1981) APICS Dictionary American Production and Inventory Control Society.Google Scholar
- Anderson et al. (1981) Material Requirements Planning: a Study of Implementation and Practice American Production and Inventory Control Society.Google Scholar
- Forrester J F (1962) Industrial Dynamics MIT.Google Scholar
- Thornley R H (1971) Group technology: a complete manufacturing system. Inaugural Lecture University of Aston in Birmingham 14 October 1971.Google Scholar
- Jacobs F R (1983) The OPT scheduling system: a review of a new production scheduling system. In Journal of the American Production and Inventory Control Society, 24 (3).Google Scholar
- Rice J W & Yoshikawa T (1982) A comparison of Kanban and MRP concepts for the control of repetitive manufacturing systems. In Journal of the American Production and Inventory Control Society, 23(1).Google Scholar
- Mather H F & Plossl G W (1978) The master production schedule: management’s handle on the business.Google Scholar
- Mather H (1984) MRP: more ridiculous promises or more realised profits. BPICS Conference Leeds, 11 June 1984.Google Scholar