The Effect of Nutrition on Growth of Children in Baghdad
In this paper the dietary patterns, weights, heights, skeletal maturity, and the age at menarche of Baghdad children, belonging to two different socio-economic groups is presented. The results were compared between the different groups and those of British children. The objective is to show the effect of nutrition on the genetical potential of growth in its various aspects on the different groups.
KeywordsDietary Pattern Height Growth Skeletal Maturity British Standard Skeletal Maturation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Shakir, A. (1971): The Age at menarche in girls attending schools in Baghdad. Human Biology, 43, 265 – 270.Google Scholar
- Shakir, A. (1973): The dietary pattern of children attending schools in the city of Baghdad. Nutrition ( London ), XXVII, 5, 330–343.Google Scholar
- Tanner, J.M. (1969): Growth and Endocrinology of the Adolescent, in: “Endocrine and Genetic Diseases of Childhood”. L. Gardner, ed. Saunders, London.Google Scholar
- Tanner, J.M., Whitehouse, R.H., and Healy, M.J.R. (1962): Part I & I I. Paris: Centere International de l’Enfance.Google Scholar
- Tanner, J.M., Whitehouse, R.H, and Takaishi, M. (1966): Archives of Disease of Childhood, 41, 454–471; 613 – 635.Google Scholar
- Wadsworth, G.R. and Cameron, M.E. (1968): Rapid determination of dietary patterns. Nutrition (London) 22, 188 – 191.Google Scholar