Dietary Protein and Cardiovascular Diseases: Effects of Dietary Protein on Plasma Cholesterol Levels and Cholesterol Metabolism
Experiments in our laboratory have shown that the hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis observed in rabbits fed semipurified, cholesterol-free diets are due to the use of casein as the protein component of such diets. Both the hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis can be prevented by using isolated soy protein rather casein as dietary protein1–3. Feeding trials with protein preparations from a variety of different sources indicated that, in general, animal proteins cause a rise in plasma cholesterol while plant proteins give low levels comparable to those in rabbits on commercial feed1, 2, 4, 5 (Fig. 1).
KeywordsDietary Protein Plasma Cholesterol FABA Bean Animal Protein Soybean Protein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Carroll, K.K., Huff, M.W. and Roberts, D.C.K., Dietary protein, hypercholesterolemia, and atherosclerosis. In: “Atherosclerosis IV, Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium, Tokyo, 1976”, G. Schettler, Y. Goto, Y. Hata and G. Klose, (eds.), pp. 445–448, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.Huff, M.W., Hamilton, R.M.G. and Carroll, K.K., Effects of dietary proteins and amino acids on the plasma cholesterol concentrations of rabbits fed cholesterol-free diets, in: “Adv. Exp. Biol. Med. Vol. 82, Atherosclerosis: Metabolic, Morphologic and Clinical Aspects, London, Ontario, 1975”, G.W. Manning and M.D. Haust, (eds.), pp. 275–277, Plenum Press, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- 8.Malmros, H. and Wigand, G., Atherosclerosis and deficiency of essential fatty acids. Lancet ii: 749–751 (1959).Google Scholar
- 9.Carroll, K.K., Huff, M.W. and Roberts, D.C.K., Vegetable protein and lipid metabolism, in: “Soy Protein and Human Nutrition Conference at Keystone, Colorado, 1978”, D.T. Hopkins, D.H. Waggle and H.L. Wilcke, (eds.), Academic Press, New York (in press).Google Scholar
- 10.Huff, M.W. and Carroll, K.K., Effects of dietary protein on plasma cholesterol levels and cholesterol oxidation in rabbits. Fed. Proc. 36: 1104 (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.Carroll, K.K., Giovannetti, P.M., Huff, M.W., Moase, O., Roberts, D.C.K. and Wolfe, B.M., Hypocholesterolemic effect of substituting soybean protein for animal protein in the diet of healthy young women. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. (in press).Google Scholar
- 17.Yershalmy, J. and Hilleboe, H.E., Fat in the diet and mortality from heart disease. A methodologic note. N.Y. State J. Med. 57: 2343–2354 (1957).Google Scholar
- 18.Gortner, W.A., Nutrition in the United States, 1900 to 1974. Cancer Res. 35: 3246–3253 (1975).Google Scholar