The Role of Hemocytes in Melanotic Tumor Formation
The diseases of insects may be grouped in two main categories: those in which the pathological syndrome is generated by the presence of an inf ect ive agent, and those in which a genetic defect underlies the pathological condition. Hemocytes are involved in combating deleterious effects in both cases. In the case of infection we can be certain that the hemocytes are reacting to stimuli emitted by the presence of the infective agent. Cell-mediated defense responses of insects to foreign bodies in the hemocoel include phagocytosis and nodule formation by the hemocytes (Salt, 1970). Similar types of behavior are exhibited by hemocytes in some genetic diseases (Oftedal, 1953). However, in the latter cases, analysis of the pathological syndrome is complicated by the dif ficulty in determining whether the genetic lesion directly affects the hemocytes or the hemocytes are reacting to gene-conditioned disorders elsewhere in the body.
KeywordsJuvenile Hormone Adipose Cell Infective Agent Hemolymph Sample Viruslike Particle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Oftedal, P. (1953). The histogenesis of a new tumor in Drosophila melanogaster and a comparison with tumors of five other stocks. Zeit. Induk. Abstammungs-. Vererbung., 85, 408–422.Google Scholar
- Rizki, T. M. (1957b). Tumor format ion in relation to metamorphosis in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Morph., 100, 459472.Google Scholar
- Rizki, T. M. (1962). Experimental analysis of hemocyte morphology in insects. Amer. Zool., 2, 247–256.Google Scholar
- Rizki, T. M. (1978). Circulatory System. In: “The Genetics and Biology of Drosophila”, Vol. 2 (M. Ashburner and T. R. F. Wright, eds.). Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Rizki, T. M., Rizki, R. M., Allard, L. F., and Bigelow, W. C. (1976). Micromanipulation of tissues and cells of the Drosophila larva in the SEM. Scanning Electron Microscopy, IITRI 2, 611–618.Google Scholar
- Walker, I. (1959). Die Abwehrreaktion des Wirtes Drosophila melanogaster gegen die Zoophage Cynipidae Pseudeucoila bochei Weld. Rev. Suisse Zool., 66, 569–632.Google Scholar