Practical Feeding—Salmon and Trout
Salmonid aquaculture is the oldest form of fish rearing in North America, with recorded efforts at artificial propagation of salmon and trout dating back to the 1850s in Canada and the 1870s in California. For many years, the production level and dollar value of salmonid aquaculture were greater than all other forms of aquaculture. Currently, salmonid aquaculture in North America is second in production behind catfish and third in dollar value behind catfish and ornamental and bait fishes. The salmonids include the five species of Pacific salmon, Atlantic salmon, trouts, and chars.
KeywordsRainbow Trout Atlantic Salmon Chinook Salmon Coho Salmon Pacific Salmon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CASTELL, J. O. 1979. Review of Lipid Requirements of Finfish. Proceedings of the World Symposium on Finfish Nutrition and Fishfeed Techniques. Hamburg, 20–23 June 1978. Vol. 1. Berlin: Heenemann Verlagsgesellschaft.Google Scholar
- HILTON, J. W., and S. J. SLINGER. 1981. Nutrition and feeding of rainbow trout. Can. Spec. Publ. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55.Google Scholar
- LALL, S. P. 1979. Minerals in finfish nutrition. Proceedings of the World Symposium on Finfish Nutrition and Fishfeed Techniques. Hamburg, 20–23 June 1978. Vol. 1. Berlin.Google Scholar
- MEYERS, S. P., and H. M. CHEN. 1982. Astaxanthin and its role in fish culture. Proceedings of the Warmwater Fish Culture Workshop. World Maniculture Society Special Publication No. 3: 153–165.Google Scholar
- NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL. 1981. Nutrient Requirements of Coldwater Fishes. National Academy of Sciences. Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- WATANABE, T. 1982. Lipid nutrition in fish. Comp. Biochem. 73B: 1–15.Google Scholar
- WATANABE, T., T. TAKEUCHI, and C. OGINO. 1979. Studies on the sparing effect of lipids on dietary protein in rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri). Proceedings of the World Symposium on Finfish Nutrition and Fishfeed Techniques. Hamburg, 20–23 June 1978. Vol. 1. Berlin: Heeneman Verlagsgesellschaft.Google Scholar