Psychological acoustics, or psychoacoustics, deals with the subjective nature of hearing, and the intention of this chapter is to cover those aspects of the subject that the recording engineer will deal with in his daily work. Such topics as loudness phenomena, sound image localization, pitch perception, masking, and the all-important subject of hearing protection will be discussed.
KeywordsSound Source Sound Pressure Level Pure Tone Phantom Image Critical Band
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Altschuler, “Balance Attenuation Ear Protection,” Sound & Communications, vol. 35, no. 3 (1989)Google Scholar
- 2.B. Bauer, “Phasor Analysis of Some Stereophonic Phenomena,” J. Acoustical Society of America, vol. 33, no. 11 (1956).Google Scholar
- 3.A. Benade, Fundamentals of Musical Acoustics, p. 209, Oxford University Press, New York (1976).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Blauert, Spatial Hearing, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass. (1983).Google Scholar
- 5.H. A. M. Clark, et al., “The ‘Stereosonic’ Recording and Reproducing System,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 6, no. 2 (1958).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Gelfand, Hearing, an Introduction for Psychological and Physiological Acoustics, Marcel Dekker, New York (1981).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Haas, “The Influence of a Single Echo on the Audibility of Speech,” reprinted in J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 20, no.2 (1972).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Roederer, Introduction to the Physics and Psychophysics of Music, p. 29, Springer-Verlag, New York (1973).Google Scholar
- 10.E. Schubert (ed.), Psychological Acoustics, Dowden, Hutchinson, and Ross, Stroudsburg, Pa. (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.F. Winckel, Music, Sound, and Sensation, Dover Publications, New York (1967).Google Scholar
- 12.D. Woolford, “Sound Pressure Levels in Symphony Orchestras and Hearing,” presented at the 1984 Australian Regional Convention, Audio Engineering Society, Sept. 1984, preprint no. 2104.Google Scholar
- 13.Occupational Safety and Health Act, 1970, Department of Labor, US Congress, 651 et seq. Google Scholar