Reverberation and Signal Delay
Acoustical reverberation chambers, often referred to as “echo” chambers, date from the 1930s and were used primarily for special effects in motion picture production. Their introduction into the mainstream of recording dates from the late 1940s. The early systems were monophonic, and natural stereo perspectives were difficult to achieve, even with a pair of mono chambers. During the late 1960s, digital hardware was developed that would ultimately simplify reverberation generation, and electronic signal delay (often called “time” delay) devices became commonplace.
KeywordsSignal Delay Random Access Memory Mean Free Path Reverberation Time Direct Sound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Bauer, “Some Techniques Toward Better Stereophonic Perspective,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 17, no. 4 (1969).Google Scholar
- 2.B. Blesser and F. Lee, “An Audio Delay system Using Digital Technology,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 19, no. 5 (1971) .Google Scholar
- 3.J. Borwick (ed.), Sound Recording Practice, Oxford University Press, New York (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Davis, “Practical Stereo Reverberation for Studio Recording,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 10, no. 2 (1962).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Dickreiter, Tonmeister Technology, Temmer Enterprises Incorporated, New York (1989).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Eargle, “The Record Industry in Japan,” Recording Engineer/Producer, vol. 5, no. 2(1974).Google Scholar
- 7.J. Eargle, “Evolution of Artificial Reverberation,” Recording Engineer/Producer, vol. 18, no. 2(1987). •Google Scholar
- 8.H. Meinema et al., “A New Reverberation Device for High Fidelity Systems,” J. Auaio Engineercng Society, vol. 9, no. 4 (1961).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Rettinger, “Reverberation Chambers for Broadcasting and Recording Studios,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 5, no. 1 (1957).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Woram, Handbook of Sound Recording, H. Sams, Indianapolis (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.J. Woram and A. Kefauver, The New Recording Studio Handbook, Elar, Commack, N.Y. (1989).Google Scholar