The Microemulsion Concept in Nonpolar Surfactant Solutions
It appears indispensable in discussing our present knowledge regarding the so-called microemulsions to point to the most problematic and unsatisfactory situation connected with the microemulsion notion. There does not exist as yet an operational definition of the microemulsion concept which is likewise useful for water-in-oil and oil-in-water systems. The main confusion seems to be due to the fact that microemulsions were originally defined purely phenomenologically, i.e. according to the observation that homogeneous, transparent, and low viscous solutions can be formed with considerable amounts of water or oil dispersed in the antagonistic continuous components in the presence of suitable surfactants and (eventual) co-surfactants.
KeywordsHydrodynamic Radius Micellar Aggregate Surfactant Monolayer Average Hydrodynamic Radius Inverted Micelle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.L. E. Scriven, in Micellization, Solubilization, and Microemulsion (K. L. Mittal, edit.), Vol. 2, 877, Plenum Press, N.Y. 1977.Google Scholar
- 5.H. F. Eicke and P. Kvita, J. Colloid Interface Sci. in prep.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Zundel, “Hydration and Intermolecular Interaction”, Academic Press, New York 1969.Google Scholar
- 7.H. J. Emeléus and J. S. Anderson, Modern Aspects of Inorganic Chemistry, Rutledge and Kegan Paul Ltd., London, 386, (1960).Google Scholar
- 8.H. F. Eicke, J. Solution Chem. (1980/81) in press.Google Scholar
- 12.S. M. F. Tavernier, C. Vonk and R. Gijbels, J. Colloid Interface Sci. to appear (1980).Google Scholar
- 13.H. F. Eicke, and Z. Markovic, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 79, 151 (1981); Z. Markovic, Thesis, Univ. Basel 1980.Google Scholar
- 14.A. V. Levashov, V. I. Pantin and K. Martinek, Koll. Zh. (russ.) No. 3, 453 (1979).Google Scholar
- 16.H. F. Eicke, and R. Kubik, Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 84, 37 (1980).Google Scholar
- 17.H. F. Eicke, and K. St. Nitsche, Lett. to Edit., J. Colloid Interf. Sci., in preparation.Google Scholar
- 20.D. Dünnenberger, unpublished results.Google Scholar