Rat Stomach Kallikrein: Its Purification and Properties
From rat stomach, kallikrein was purified by chromatographies on columns of p-aminobenzamidine-Sepharose, DEAE-Sephadex A-50 and Sephadex G-150 and by isoelectric focusing, measuring its activities to hydrolyse prolylphenylalanyl-arginine-4-methylcoumarine amide (Pro-Phe-Arg-MCA) and to release kinin from rat heated-plasma. The purified stomach kallikrein showed a single band on Disc electrophoresis at pH 7.0. The molecular weight of the kallikrein was calculated to be 29,000 by gel-filtratiou on a column of Sephadex G-50. The kallikrein was stable between pH 6 and 11 and hydrolysed Pro-Phe-Arg-MCA optimally at pH 11.0, The Pro-Phe-Arg-MCA hydrolysing activity of rat stomach kallikrein was inhibited by DFP and Trasylol, but not by trypsin inhibitors from soyabean, limabean and ovomucoid. These properties of rat stomach kallikrein was clearly distinguishable from those of partially purified rat plasma kallikrein, but similar properties to other glandular kallikreins from other species.
From these results, it was concluded that kallikrein is present in rat stomach, which can be classified into glandular kallikrein.
KeywordsTrypsin Inhibitor Snake Venom Cyanogen Bromide Disc Electrophoresis Amidase Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cuatrecasas, P., 1970, Protein purification by affinity chromatography. Derivatizations of agarose and polyacrylamide beads. J. Biol, Chem., 245, 3059.Google Scholar
- Fiedler, F., C. Hirschauer and E. Werle, 1970, Anreicherung von prHkaiiikrein B aus Schweinepankreas und ligenschaften verschiedener formen des pankreaskallikreins. Hoppe-Seyler’s Z. Physiol. Chem., 351, 225.Google Scholar
- Fiedler, F., 1976, Methods in Enzymology, ed. by L. Lorand, Academic Press, New York, Vol. 45, p. 287.Google Scholar
- Fujikawa, K., K. Kurachi and E. Davie, 1977, Characterization of bovine factor XiIa (activated. hageman factor). Biochem., Vol. 16, No. 19Google Scholar
- Geiger, R., G. Feifel and G. L. Haberland, 1977, A precursor of kinins in the human gastric mucus, Kininogenases-Kallikrein, Schattauer, Stuttgart, p. 73–77.Google Scholar
- Kraut, H., E. K. Frey and E. Werle, 1930, Der nachweis lines kreislaufhormons in pankreasdrUse. Z. Physiol. Chem., 189, 97Google Scholar
- McGiff, J. C., A. Nasjletti, 1976, Kinins, renal function and blood pressure regulation. Fed. Proc., 35, 172.Google Scholar
- Morita, T., H. Kato, S. Iwanaga, K. Tak.ada, T. Kimura and S. Sakakibara, 1977, New fluorogenic substrates foro(-thrombin, Factor Xa, kallikreins and urokinase. J. Biochem., 82, 1495–1498.Google Scholar
- Moriwaki, C., H. Moriya, K. Yamaguchi,’ K. Kizuki and H Fujinori, 1973, “Kininogenases”, ed. by G. L. Haberland and J. W. Rohen, F. K. Schattauer Verlag•Stuttgart-New York, Vol. 1, p. 57.Google Scholar
- Moriya, H., 1959, Chemical studies on kallikrein VIII. Molecular weight of kallikrein and the supplement. J. Pharmacol, Soc. Jap., 79, 1453.Google Scholar
- Moriya, H., J. V. Pierce and M. E. Webster, 1963, Purification and some properties of three kallikreins. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci., 104, 172.Google Scholar
- Nustad, K., 1970, The relationship between kidney and urinary kininogenases. Br. J. Pharmacol., 39, 73–86.Google Scholar
- Nustad, K., J. V. Pierce, 1974, Purification of rat urinary kallikreins and their specific antibody. Biochem,, 13, No. 11.Google Scholar
- Suzuki, T., S. Iwanaga, S. Nagasawa and T. Sato,:. 6, in Hypotensive Peptide, ed. by E. G. Erdas, N. Back, F. Sicuteri., pp. 149–160, Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Werle, E., P. Rodin, 1936, Über das vorkommen des kallikreins in den speicheldrusen und im Mundspeichel. Biochem. Z.., 246, 213.Google Scholar
- Kerle, E., 1955, Polypeptides which stimulated plain muscle, ed. by J. H. Gaddume, p. 20, Livingstone.Google Scholar
- Williams, D. E. and R. A. Reisfelf, 1964, Disc electrophoresis in polyacrylamide gels: extension to new conditions of pH and buffer. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci., 121, 273.Google Scholar
- Yano, M., S. Nagasawa, T. and T. Suzuki, 1971, Partial purification and some properties of high molecular weight kininogen, bovine kini.nogen-l. J. Blocher., 69, 471-481Google Scholar