Biochemical Evidence For Chromophore-Chromophore Interactions as the Main Organizational Principle in Chlorosomes of Chloroflexus Aurantiacus
Chlorosomes are the main light-harvesting antennae of Chlorobiaceae and Chloroflexaceae. Chlorosomes from C. aurantiacus have been prepared in the past only by methods based on density gradient centrifugation (SDGC) (1–3) without detergents (2) or with miranol (1) as detergent. These chlorosomes always contain BChl a which was thought to be a part of the so-called baseplate (1) which attaches the chlorosomes to the cytoplasmic membrane (CM). Studies by PAGE of these chlorosomes showed the occurance of at least four proteins in the chlorosome band isolated from the gradient. Different values have been reported for the Mr of these proteins. Schmidt et al. (4) resolved only two proteins with Mr of 10 and 15 kD while Sprague et al. (3) reported three proteins Mr of 13.7, 12.4 and < 12.4 kD (approx. 10 kD from the Fig. given). Feick et al. (5) resolved four proteins with Mr of 18, 11, 5.8 and 3.7 kD. The very different values reported particularly for the Mr of the smallest protein may be explained by the different gel-systems and marker proteins used but could also indicate differences between these preparations.
KeywordsTrypsin Inhibitor Cytoplasmic Membrane Silver Staining Relative Molecular Weight Green Photosynthetic Bacterium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Sprague,S.G., Staehelin,A., DiBartolomeis,M.J. and Fuller,R.C. J. Bacteriobiol. 147, 1021–1031 (1981).Google Scholar
- 7.Blankenship,R.E., Brune,D.C., Freeman,J.M., Trost,J.T., King,G.H., McManus,J.H., Nozawa,T. and Wittmershaus,B.P. in Green Photosynthetic Bacteria (eds: Olson, J.M., Ormerod, J.G., Amesz, J., Stackebrandt, E. and Trüper, H.G.) 57–68 ( Plenum Press, New York 1988 ).Google Scholar
- 8.Lutz,M. and van Brakel,G. in Green Photosynthetic Bacteria (eds: Olson, J.M., Ormerod, J.G., Amesz, J., Stackebrandt, E. and Trtiper, H.G.) 23–34 ( Plenum Press, New York 1988 ).Google Scholar
- 9.Bystrova,M.I., Malgosheva,I.N. and Kranovskii,A.A. Mol. Biol. 13, 440–451 (1979).Google Scholar
- 15.Heukeshoven,J. and Dernick,R. Elektrophorese Forum 86 Diskussionstagung Okt. 1986: 22–27.Google Scholar