Future Trends in Quantum Semiconductor Devices
Between physics discoveries and commercial products there is a large attrition rate. The status of some heterojunction devices is reviewed, and some indications are given of the evolution of all-heterojunction devices.
KeywordsQuantum Size Effect Resonant Tunnelling Base Resistance Doping Profile IEEE Electron Device
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Kiefer and J Heightley, “Cray-3: A GaAs Implemented Supercomputer System” IEEE GaAs IC Symposium Technical Digest, pp 3–6 ( 198 )Google Scholar
- 3.S M Sze “Physics of Semiconductor Devices” (Wiley, Second Edition 1981)Google Scholar
- 5.P H Beton, A P Long and M J Kelly “Monte-Carlo Simulation of Hot Electron Spectra” Solid State Electronics 31 637–40 (1988)Google Scholar
- A F J Levi, J R Hayes and R Bhat “Ballistic injection devices in semiconductors”, Appl. Phys. Lett 48 1609–11 (1986)Google Scholar
- 8.A P Long, M J Kelly and T M Kerr (unpublished)Google Scholar
- 11.The GaAs/AlGaAs results have been achieved in several laboratories including our own. See also T Inata, S Muto, Y Nakata, T Fujii, H Ohnishi and S Hiyamizu, “Excellent Negative Differential Resistance of InAlAs/InGaAs Resonant Tunnelling Barrier Structures Grown by MBE” Jap. J. Appl. Phys. 25 L983–5 (1986)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.R A Davies to be published, and M J Kelly, S R Andrews, N R Couch, R A Davies and T M Kerr “Novel Tunnelling Phenomena in Quantum Wells and Superlattices” to appear in Physica ScriptaGoogle Scholar
- 14.T C L G Sollner, E R Brown and H Q Le “Microwave and Millimetre - Wave Resonant - Tunnelling Devices” to appear in “Physics of Quantum Electron Devices” editor F Capasso (Springer-Verlag 1988)Google Scholar
- 17.D A B Miller, J S Weiner and D S Chemla “Electric-Field Dependence of Linear Optical Properties in Quantum Well Structures: Waveguide Electro- absorption and sum rules” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics 22 1816–30, 1986 and references thereinGoogle Scholar
- 18.C Weisbuch “Novel Heterostructure Devices for Electronics and Optoelectronics” to appear in the (SPIE 869) Proceedings of the International Conference on Technologies for Optoelectronics, Cannes, November 1987Google Scholar