A Role for Ia Antigens in B Cell Activation: Studies with Normal B Cells and A B Cell Lymphoma
Monoclonal anti-Ia antibodies enhanced anti-μ induced proliferation of murine B lymphocytes. Anti-Ia induced augmentation of B cell proliferation was allele specific and did not require participation by T cells and adherent cells. The effects of anti-Ia antibodies on B cell activation are neither due to induction of interleukin-1 secretion in the cultures nor due to interaction with the Fc receptors and can be demonstrated under serum-free culture conditions. Monoclonal antibodies against both IA and IE region encoded Ia molecules were able to synergize with anti-μ in inducing B cell proliferation. Antibodies to both IA and IE coded antigens induced IgM secretion from the B lymphoma cell lines BKS3 and BKL. The anti-Ia antibodies did not affect the proliferation of the B lymphoma cells. These results suggest that the interaction of B cell surface Ia with the anti-Ia antibodies results in an activation signal and that the B cell surface Ia antigens may function as signal transducer molecules.
KeywordsCell Lymphoma Spleen Cell Proliferative Response Limulus Amebocyte Lysate Assay Monoelonal Antibody
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chestnut, R.W. and Grey, H.M. Studies on the capacity of B cells to serve as antigen-presenting cells. J. Immunol. 126: 1075–1079, 1981.Google Scholar
- Howard, M., Nakanishi, K. and Paul, W.E. B cell growth and differentiation factors. Immunol. Rev. 78: 185–210, 1984.Google Scholar
- MiL, S.B., Oppenheim, J.J., and Rosenstreich, P.L. Characterization of lymphocyte activating factor (LAF) produced by the macrophage cell line, P388D1. J. Immunol. 120: 1497–1503, 1978.Google Scholar
- Oi, V.T., Jones, P.P., Goding, J.W., Herzenberg, L.A., and Herzenberg, L.A. Properties of monoclonal antibodies to mouse Ig allotypes and Ia antigens. Current Topics in Microbiol. and Immunol. 81: 115–129, 1978.Google Scholar
- Phyllips, N.E. and Parker, D.C. Crosslinking of B lymphocyte Fc-y receptors and membrane immunoglobulin inhibits anti-immunoglobulin-induced bl astogenesi s. J. Immunol. 132: 627–632, 1982.Google Scholar