Photon Echoes in Krypton and Xenon Discharges
- 31 Downloads
Studies of pressure broadening of spectral lines have proven to be valuable probes of atomic dynamics and interactions.1 Photon echo experiments improve upon the more traditional frequency broadening experiments by measuring the time evolution of processes whose contribution to the overall linewidth is small compared to the Doppler width.2 To our knowledge we present for the first time the results of photon echo measurements in weakly ionized plasmas of Krypton and Xenon.3 At the pressures used in these measurements (less than 2 Torr) the pressure broadened width is only a few percent of the Doppler width.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.T. Baer and I. D. Abella, Photon Echoes in Plasmas: Collisional Relaxation in Helium on 23S - 33P, Opt. Lett. 3:170 (1978) 1 012 T. Baer, Relaxation on Photon Echoes in Weakly Ionized Noble Gas Plasmas, Phys. Rev. A, 20: 2610 (1979)Google Scholar
- 6.J.L. Delcroix, C. M. Ferreira, and A. Ricard, in: “Principles of Laser Plasmas” ed. by G. Bekefi, ( Wiley, New York, 1978 ), pg. 159Google Scholar
- 7.M. Littman and H. Metcalf, Spectrally Narrow Pulsed Dye Laser Without Beam Expander, Appl. Opt. 17: 224 (1978)Google Scholar
- 9.Steven Aoki, Photon-echo Quantum Beats on the 7P3,9-6S1,, Transition in Cesium, Phys. Rev. A 20:2013 tAppendixYGoogle Scholar
- 10.T. Baer and I. D. Abella, Polarization Rotation of Photon Echoes in Cesium Vapor in a Magnetic Field, Phys. Rev. A 16: 2098 (1978)Google Scholar
- 11.P. R. Berman, Theory of Collision Effects on Atomic and Molecular Line Shapes, Appl. Phys. 6: 283 (1975)Google Scholar
- 13.W. Hindmarsh and J. M. Farr, Collision Broadening of Spectral Lines by Neutral Atoms, Prou. Quant. Electron. 2: 139 (1972)Google Scholar
- 15.A. Bielski, W. Dokurno, J. Szudy, and J. Wolnikowski, Low Pressure Broadening and Shift of the 540.06 nm Line of Neon, Physica C 101: 113 (1980)Google Scholar
- 17.U. Fano, private communicationGoogle Scholar