A Miniature Heat Exchanger for Simultaneous Para-Orthohydrogen Conversion and Heat Transfer

  • R. N. Meier
  • J. R. Marple
  • C. J. Lee
Conference paper
Part of the Advances in Cryogenic Engineering book series (ACRE, volume 14)


A development program Is presently being conducted to design and fabricate a piece of hardware which will reliquefy a portion of the boiloff vapor generated from hydrogen storage on long space flight missions. A reliquefaction rate of approximately 40% of the hydrogen boiloff is anticipated. The other 60% is used as the heat sink and is vented overboard. The cycle Is fully described elsewhere [1].


Heat Transfer Heat Exchanger Heat Transfer Surface Shell Side Cold Stream 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.


Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.


  1. 1.
    M. A. Banning, A. H. Singleton, and E. Kunkle, in: Advances in Cryogenic Engineering; Vol. 14, Plenum Press, New York (1969), p. 378.Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    A. H. Singleton and A. Lapin, in: Advances in Cryogenic Engineering, Vol. 11, Plenum Press, New York (1966), p. 617.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    R. B. Scott, Cryogenic Engineering, D. van Mostrand Co., Princeton, N.J. (1959), p. 239.Google Scholar
  4. 4.
    G. E. Schmauch and A. H. Singleton, Ind. Eng. Chem., 56(5):20 (1964).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    A. Shaffer and J. Rousseau, “Thermodynamic Properties of 20.4°K Equilibrium Hydrogen”, ASD Tech. Rept. 61–360, AiResearch Manufacturing Co., Los Angeles, Calif. (Oct. 1961).Google Scholar
  6. 6.
    W. M. Kays and A. L. London, Compact Heat Exchangers, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York (1958).Google Scholar
  7. 7.
    J. M. Geist and P. K. Lashmet, in: Advances in Cryogenic Engineering, Vol. 5, Plenum Press, New York (1960), p. 324.Google Scholar
  8. 8.
    A. H. Singleton, J. F. Kucirka, and A. Lapin, “Investigation of the Para-Ortho Shift of Hydrogen”, AFAPL-TR-66–111, Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., Alientown, Pa. (Sept. 1966).Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer Science+Business Media New York 1969

Authors and Affiliations

  • R. N. Meier
    • 1
  • J. R. Marple
    • 1
  • C. J. Lee
    • 1
  1. 1.Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.AllentownUSA

Personalised recommendations