Pathology in the Cholinergic Basal Forebrain: Implications for Treatment
- 129 Downloads
The development of effective treatments for the cognitive impairment characteristic of dementing illnesses represents a major challenge to neuroscientists in the future. Success in this endeavor will depend on understanding the biological basis of normal cognition. In order to make scientific progress in understanding the neural basis of cognition and the consequences of dysfunction in these systems in dementia, we must isolate components or subsystems in order to study them. As we make simplifying assumptions, we must remember the dangers of such simplication and the importance of eventually modelling the entire network of interacting systems that support normal thought and that are impaired in dementia.
KeywordsBasal Forebrain Quinolinic Acid Nucleus Basalis Ibotenic Acid Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barde, Y-A, 19, Trophic factors and neuronal survival, Neuron,Google Scholar
- Gage, F.H., Chen, K.S., Buzsaki, G., Armstrong, D., 1988, Experimental approaches to age related cognitive impairments, Neurobiol. Aging, 9:645.Google Scholar
- Gauthier, S., Bouchard, R., Lamontagne, A., Bailey, P., Bergman, H., Ratner, J., Tesfaye, Y., Saint-Martin, M., Bacher, Y., Carrier, L., Charbonneau, R., Clarfield, A.M., Collier, B., Dastoor, D., Gauthier, L., Germain, M., Kissel, C., Krieger, M., Kushnir, S., MAsson, H., Morin, J., Nair, V., Neirinck, L., and Suissa, S.,1990, Tetrahydroaminoacridine-Lecithin combination treatment in patients with intermediate-stage Alzheimer’s disease, N Engl J Med322:1272.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hefti, F., Hartikka, J., Knusel, B.,1989, Function of neurotrophic factors in the adult and agingbrain and their possible use in the treatment of neurodegnerative diseases, Neurobiol. Aging, 10:515–533.Google Scholar
- Olton, D.S., Gamzu, E., Corkin, S., 1985, Memory Dysfunctions: An Integration of Animal and Human Research from Preclinical and Clinical Perspectives. Annals of the New York Academy of SciencesVol. 444, 1985.Google Scholar
- Perry, E.K., Tomlinson, B.E., Blessed, G., Bergmann, K., Gibson, P.H. and Perry, R.H., 1976, Correlation of cholinergic abnormalities with senile plaques and mental test scores in senile dementia, Br. Med. J. 2:457.Google Scholar
- Whitehouse, P.J., Struble, R.G., Hedreen, J.C., Clark, A.W., Price, D.L., 1985, Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias: Selective involvement of specific neuronal systems, CRC Crit. Rev. Clin. Neurobiol. 1(4):319.Google Scholar