Kinetics and mechanisms of ATP hydrolysis, electron transfers and proton release by Klebsiella pneumoniae nitrogenase
Eady et al. (3) and Hageman et al. (4) used the rapid acid quench technique to demonstrate that the transfer of one electron from the 4Fe-4S centre in the Fe protein to the MoFe protein is coupled to the hydrolysis of two equivalents of MgATP; a stoichiometry also given by the steady state rates of substrate reduction and Pi formation under optimum conditions.
KeywordsMoFe Protein Rapid Acid Protein Dissociation AFRC Institute Hydrolysis MgATP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ashby, G. and Thorneley, R.N.F. (1987), Biochem J., 246, 455–465.Google Scholar
- 6.Jeng, D.Y., Morris, J.A. and Mortenson, L.E. (1970), J.Biol.Chem., 245, 2809–2814.Google Scholar
- 7.Lowe, D.J. and Thorneley, R.N.F. (1983), Biochem. J., 215, 393–403.Google Scholar
- 8.Thorneley, R.N.F. and Ashby, G. (1989), Biochem. J., 261, 181–187.Google Scholar
- 9.Thorneley, R.N.F., Ashby, G., Howarth, J.V., Millar, N.C. and Gutfreund, H. (1989), Biochem. J., 264, 657–661.Google Scholar