Monoclonal Antibodies in Immunoenzymetric Assays
- 69 Downloads
A new world of immunodiagnostics emerged when Köhler and Milstein (1975) elevated antibodies to the status of “reagent grade chemicals” by producing hybrid cells capable of virtually unlimited synthesis of homogeneous antibody molecules. These monoclonal antibodies have rapidly found their niche in various versions of the immunometric — or labeled antibody — assay technique. Six years after the initial work of Köhler and Milstein (1975), routine monoclonal antibody-based immunoradiometric and immunoenzymetric assays were developed (Sevier et al., 1981). The favorable reaction conditions of these excess antibody systems (Ekins, 1981) facilitate rapid approach to equilibrium and determination of extremely low minimal detectable antigen concentrations.
KeywordsHuman Chorionic Gonadotropin Antigenic Determinant Polyclonal Antiserum Label Antibody Prostatic Acid Phosphatase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bartholomew, R., Beidler, D., David, G. and Hill, C., 1983, Switch immunoaffinity chromatography with monoclonal antibodies. Biotechniques, Volume 1.Google Scholar
- DiPietro, D.L., 1981, Ectopic pregnancy: interpreting hCG levels. Laboratory Management 19:43–51.Google Scholar
- Ekins, R., 1981, Towards immunoassays of greater sensitivity, specificity and speed: an overview, in: “Monoclonal Antibodies and Developments in Immunoassay,” A. Albertini and R. Elkins, eds., Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Koprowski, H., Steplewski, Z., Mitchell, K., Herlyn, M., Herlyn, D., Fuhrer, P., 1979, Colorectal carcinoma antigens detected by hybridoma antibodies, Somatic Cell Genetics, 957:972.Google Scholar
- Martinis, J., Kull, J.F., Franz, G., and Bartholomew, R.M., Monoclonal antibodies with dual antigen specificity, 1982, III Annual Colloquium of the Protides of Biological Fluids.Google Scholar
- Potocnjak, P., Zavala, F., Nussenzweig, R., Nussenzweig, V., Inhibition of idiotype-anti-idiotype interaction for detection of a parasite antigen: a new immunoassay, Science 215:1637–1639.Google Scholar
- Saunders, R.L., David, G.S., Sevier, E.D., 1984, Monoclonal antibodies: advances in in vitro and in vivo diagnostics. Pathologist 38:638–646.Google Scholar
- Sevier, E.D., 1982, Monoclonal antibodies: expanded potential for labeled antibody ligand assays, J. Am. Med. Tech. 48:651–653.Google Scholar