The Effect of 5-Hydroxytryptamine and Arterial Blood Withdrawal on Cerebral Microcirculation in the Cat, Arterial Permeability in the Rabbit
- 66 Downloads
Studies dealing with the effect of 5-HT on cerebral cortical microcirculation of cats and on permeability of femoral arteries to RISA of rabbits are presented. The effect of 5-HT on cerebral cortical microcirculation was compared to that of arterial blood withdrawal and blood reinfusion. The effect of topical administratior of 5-HT was also studied. Cortical microcirculation was observed by transillumination using a microtransilluminator. Motion pictures were taken at a speed of 400 frames/sec. and a magnification of 3000X. Permeability was investigated using arterial RISA uptake in vessels perfused in vitro, with continuous recording of perfusion pressure.
KeywordsCerebral Blood Flow Vascular Permeability Perfusion Pressure Systemic Blood Pressure Reactive Hyperemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.BRATZLER, R. L., CHISOLM, G. M., COTTON, C.K., SMITH, K. A., ZILVERSMITH, D. B. & LEES, R. S. The distribution of labeled albumin across the rabbit thoracic aorta in vivo. Circulation Research 40, 182–190 (1877).Google Scholar
- 9.COBB, S. Cerebral circulation: A critical discussion of the symposium. Proceedings of the Association of Research in Nervous and Mental Diseases 18, 719–720 (1938).Google Scholar
- 12.EDVINSSON, L. & MACKENZIE, E. T. Amine mechanisms in the cerebral circulation. Pharmacological Reviews 28, 275–348 (1977).Google Scholar
- 14.FLOREY, Lord & SHEPPARD, B. L. The permeability of arterial endothelium to horseradish peroxidase. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 174 435–443 (1970).Google Scholar
- 15.FRY, D. L. Responses of the arterial wall to certain physical factors. Atherosclerosis: Initiating Factors. Ciba Foundation Symposium 12, 93–125. Amsterdam, Associated Scientific Publishers (1973).Google Scholar
- 17.GILMAN, A. G., GOODMAN, L. S., GILMAN, A. (Eds.) The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, ed. 6. New York, Macmillan Publishing Co. (1980).Google Scholar
- 18.HAGGERDAL, E., MILSSON, N. J. & Morback, B. Effect of blood corpuscle concentration on cerebral blood flow. Acta Chirurgica Scandinavica — supplements 364, 13–21 (1966).Google Scholar
- 25.MARZILLI, M., GOLDSTEIN, S., TRIVELLA, M. A., PALUMBO, C. & MASERI, A. Some clinical considerations regarding the relation of coronary vasospasm to coronary atherosclerosis: A hypothetical pathogenesis. American Journal of Cardiology 45, 882–886 (1980).Google Scholar
- 31.REIVICH, M. Blood flow metabolism couple vs. brain, Plum, F. (Ed.) Brain disfunction in metabolic disorders. Research Put-lication, Association of Nervous and Mental Diseases 53, 125–140 (1974).Google Scholar
- 36.SNEDECOR, G. Statistical Methods, 4th edition. Ames, Iowa, Iowa State College Press (1946).Google Scholar