Successes and Problems Encountered While Breeding for Enhanced N2 Fixation in Alfalfa
We initiated a modest research effort on breeding alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.) for increased N2 fixation in 1974. This project became the first concentrated effort in the U. S. to breed a forage legume for increased N2 fixation. Now six years later we are taking this opportunity to look at the project in retrospect and to examine both the successes and the problems that we have encountered. Hopefully our experiences will be useful in projecting future advances and in suggesting methodologies and philosophies that can be utilized in other breeding programs for N2 fixation.
KeywordsGene Pool Bacterial Wilt Rhizobium Strain Medicago Sativa Nodule Mass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bray, R. A., 1977, The effect of Rhizobium on the response to recurrent phenotypic selection for seedling weight in Lucerne (Medicago sativa), in: “Plant Breeding Papers” 3rd Intern. Cong. Soc. for Advancement of Breeding Research in Asia and Oceania 30 (V. 2), 14(a):14.Google Scholar
- Burton, J. C., 1972, Nodulation and symbiotic nitrogen fixation, in: “Alfalfa Science and Technology,” C. H. Hanson, ed., American Soc. of Agron., Madison, WI.Google Scholar
- LaRue, T. A., 1978, Selecting and breeding legumes for enhanced nitrogen fixation (recommendations for research and proceedings of a workshop), Boyce Thompson Institute at Cornell, Ithaca, New York.Google Scholar
- Peterson, M. A., 1980, Inheritance of five ineffective nitrogen fixation traits in alfalfa, M.S. Thesis, Department of Agronomy and Plant Genetics, University of Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Vance, C. P., 1978, Nitrogen fixation in alfalfa: an overview, Proceedings, Eighth Annual Alfalfa Symposium, Bloomington, Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Viands, D. R., 1979, Selection experiments on nitrogen fixation in alfalfa, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Agronomy and Plant Genetics, University of Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Viands, D. R., Barnes, D. K., and Frosheiser, F. I., 1980, An association between resistance to bacterial wilt and nitrogen fixation in alfalfa, Crop Sci., in press.Google Scholar