Two-Dimensional Solids and Their Interaction with Substrates
- 231 Downloads
Adsorbed monolayers on an ideal substrate may exhibit solid phases incommensurable with the substrate. Near the transition to a commensurable solid state (C-I transition) the incommensurable phase can be described as an array of walls separating nearly registered domains.
After a review of earlier theories, the properties of the incommensurable phase are studied near the C-I transition. In the case of an anisotropic substrate, a continuous transition is predicted both at T=0 and T≠0, but with different critical behaviour. For a hexagonal substrate a first order transition is predicted except possibly at T=0.
KeywordsAdsorbed Layer Critical Behaviour Reciprocal Lattice Vector Incommensurable Phase Commensurable Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. AUBRY (1978) in “Non linear structure and dynamics in condensed matter”. Springer Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- J.G. DASH (1975) “Films on Solid Surfaces” (Acad. Press, New York)Google Scholar
- J. DRIEDEL (1978) “Extended defects in Materials”. Trieste lectures, to he published.Google Scholar
- H. GODFRIN, G. FROSSATI, D. THOULOUZE, M. CHAPELLIER, W.G. CLARK (1978) J. Physique 39, C6–287Google Scholar
- M. GODRON, J. VILLAIN (1979) Phys. C. to he published.Google Scholar
- L.D. LANDAU, E.M. LIFSHITZ (1959) “Theory of Elasticity” (Pergamon, London)Google Scholar
- Y. LAHRER (1978) J. Chem. Phys. 68, 257Google Scholar
- E.H. LIEB, F.Y. WU (1972) in “Phase transitions and critical phenomena”, Vol. 1, P 361, Edited by C. Domb and M.S. Green, Acad. press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- F.R.N. NABARRO (1967) “Theory of Crystal dislocations” Clarendon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- L. NEEL (1944) Cah. Phys. 25, 1.Google Scholar
- A.M. POLYAKOV (1975) Phys. Letters 59 B, 79Google Scholar
- H. SHIBA (1978) Tech. Rep. I.S.S.P. 1940 (Tokyo)Google Scholar
- D. SPANJAARD, D.L. MILLS, M.T. BEAL-MONOD (1978) J. Physique 39, C6–293 and preprintGoogle Scholar
- A. THOMY, X. DUVAL (1969) J. Chimie Phys. 66, 1966Google Scholar
- J.A. VENABLES, P.S. SHABES-RETCHKIMAN (1977) J. Phys. 38, C40–105Google Scholar
- J. VILLAIN (1975) J. Physique 36, L-173Google Scholar