Allogeneic Distinction in Botryllus primigenus and in other Colonial Ascidians
- 52 Downloads
Certain species of colonial ascidians have colony specificity or the ability to distinguish self colonies from not-self colonies within the same species. In Botryllus primigenus, when a colony recognizes another as belonging to the self strain, both colonies fuse with each other to form one colony (designated as “fusion”). On the contrary, when colonies of a not-self strain come into contact, they do not fuse, and a necrotic zone occurs at the contact surface between the two colonies (designated as “nonfusion”).
KeywordsFusion Experiment Early Fusion Japan Acad Fusible Combination Colonial Ascidian
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bancroft, F.W., 1903, Variation and fusion of colonies in compound ascidian, Proc. Calif. Acad. Sci. Series 3, 3: 137–186.Google Scholar
- Burnet, F.M., 1974, Invertebrate precursors to immune responses, in: Contemporary Topics in Immunology vol. 4 Invertebrate Immunology (E.L. Cooper, ed) pp. 13-24. Plenum press.Google Scholar
- Mukai, H., 1967, Experimental alternation of fusibility in compound ascidians, Sci. Rep. Tokyo Kyoiku Daigaku, B13: 51–73.Google Scholar
- Mukai, H. and Watanabe, H., 1975a, Distribution of fusion incompatibility types in natural populations of the compound ascidian, Botryllus primigenus, Proc. Japan Acad. 51: 44–47.Google Scholar
- Mukai, H. and Watanabe, H., 1975b, Fusibility of colonies in natural populations of the compound ascidian, Botrylloides violaceus, Proc. Japan Acad. 51: 48–50.Google Scholar
- Oka, H., 1970, Colony specificity in compound ascidians. The genetic control of fusibility, in: Profiles of Japanese Science and Scientists (H. Yukawa, ed) pp. 195–206, Kodansha, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- Oka, H. and Usui, M., 1944, On the growth and propagation of the colonies in Polycitor mutabilis (Ascidiae compositae), Sci. Rep. Tokyo Bunrika Daigaku, B: 23–53.Google Scholar
- Oka, H. and Watanabe, H., 1957, Colony-specificity in compound ascidians as tested by fusion experiments (a preliminary report). Proc. Japan Acad. 33: 657–659.Google Scholar
- Oka, H. and Watanabe, H., 1960, Problems of colony-specificity in compound ascidians, Bull. Mar. Biol. Stat. Asamushi 10: 153–155.Google Scholar
- Tanaka, K. and Watanabe, H., 1972, Involvement of cellular and humoral factors in “nonfusion” reaction (NFR) of Botryllus primigenus a compound ascidian, Proc. IInd An. Meet. Japan Soc. Immunol. 101-103. (in Japanese).Google Scholar