Studies on Myelin Proteins in Human Peripheral Nerve
The myelin fraction from human peripheral nerve was prepared. Two basic protein fractions (BF-P2 and PB) were isolated from acid extracts of the myelin fraction and three glycoproteins(BR-PO, PASII and Y protein) were purified from its acid-insoluble residue. In biochemical analysis the human BF-P2 protein (M.W.13,000) showed similar but not identical properties to bovine BF-P2 protein. The PB fraction was suggested to include the encephalitogenic CNS-BP (M.W.18,000) and another, new protein of similar molecular weight.
Both the human BR-PO protein (M.W.28,000) and PASII protein (M.W.13,000) showed similar biochemical properties to the corresponding myelin proteins of bovine peripheral nerve, while they both are clearly different from other myelin proteins. Close relationship between the BR-PO protein and the Y protein (M.W.22,000) was suggested by amino acid analysis.
Injection of the myelin fraction of bovine peripheral nerve with the complete adjuvant produced EAN while the CNS-BP induced EAE in laboratory animals. However, all three purified proteins. BF-P2, BR-PO and PASII, from bovine peripheral nerve myelin were inactive in inducing demyelinating diseases.
KeywordsAmino Acid Composition Myelin Basic Protein Basic Protein Demyelinating Disease Myelin Protein
Central nervous system
Peripheral nervous system
Encephalitogenic basic protein (M.W.18,000) in CNS myelin
Folch-Lees type proteolipid in CNS myelin
protein — Basic protein (M.W.13,000) in PNS myelin
protein — Glycoprotein (M.W.28,000) in PNS myelin
Protein — Glycoprotein (M.W.13,000) in PNS myelin
Protein — Glycoprotein (M.W.22,000) in PNS myelin
Sodium dodecyl sulfate
Experimental allergic neuritis
Experimental allergic encephalomyelitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Carnegie, P.R. and Dunkley, P.R., Basic proteins of central and peripheral nervous system, in Advances in Neurochemistry Vol. 1 (B.W. Agranoff and M.H. Aprison, eds.) (1975) pp. 96–135.Google Scholar
- 10.Deibler, G.E., Kies, M.W. and Uyemura, K., Structural studies on basic protein isolated from peripheral nerve myelin, Trans. Am. Soc. Neurochem. 6 (1975) 85.Google Scholar
- 13.Folch-Pi, J. and Lees, M., Proteolipides, a new type of tissue lipoproteins, J. Biol. Chem. 191 (1951) 807–817.Google Scholar
- 15.Kies, M.W., Deibler, D.E., Kramer, A., MacPherson, C.F. and Uyemura, K., Immunological and chemical similarities between PNS and CNS basic protein, Abstr., 5th Int. Meet. Int. Soc. Neurochem. (1975) p. 419.Google Scholar
- 16.Kitamura, K., Suzuki, M. and Uyemura, K., Purification and partial characterization of two glycoproteins in bovine peripheral nerve myelin membrane, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 445 (1976) 806–816.Google Scholar
- 17.Kitamura. K., Yamanaka, T. and Uyemura, K., On basic proteins in bovine peripheral nerve myelin, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 379 (1975) 582–591.Google Scholar
- 21.Palo, J., Savolainen, H. and Haltia, M., Proteins of peripheral nerve myelin in diabetic neuropathy, J. neurol. Sci. (1972) 193–199.Google Scholar
- 25.Singh, H. and Spritz, N., Polypeptide components of myelin from rat peripheral nerve, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 351 (1974) 379–386.Google Scholar
- 28.Uyemura, K., Kitamura, K., Ogawa, Y. and Matsuyama, H., Studies on the antigenic protein to induce experimental allergic neuritis, in The Aetiology and Pathogenesis of the Demyelinating Disease Z(H. Shiraki, T. Yonezawa and Y. Kuroiwa, eds.) (1976) Japan Science Press, pp. 181–192.Google Scholar
- 29.Uyemura, K., Kitamura, K. and Suzuki, M., Distribution and developmental changes of membrane glycoproteins in peripheral nerve myelin, Abstr., 6th Int. Meet. Int. Soc. Neurochem. Copenhagen (1977).Google Scholar
- 30.Uyemura, K., Tobari, C. and Hirano, S., Purification and properties of basic proteins in pig spinal cord and peripheral nerve, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 214 (1970) 190–197.Google Scholar
- 32.Vacher-Lepretre, M., Nicot, C., Alfsen, A., Jolles, J. and Jolles, P., Study of the apoprotein of Folch-Pi bovine proteolipid, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 420 (1976) 323–331.Google Scholar