Relationship Between Microflow, Local Tissue Po2 and Extracellular Activities of Potassium and Hydrogen Ions in the Cat Brain During Intraarterial Infusion of Ammonium Acetate
In various pathophysiological states, i.e. hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, hepatic coma, seizures and ischemia, the concentration of ammonia (NH3/NH4 +) is increased in both blood and tissue. One might suspect that ammonia could participate in the regulation of flow under these conditions. However, the reports in the literature about the effects of ammonia on flow are controversial. During infusion of ammonium salts in liver, a fall in regional blood flow was recorded by Barey et al. (1980), in brain, Schieve and Wilson (1953), and Gjedde et al. (1978) reported a decrease in cerebral blood flow, whereas Altenau and Kindt (1977) found an increase in cerebral blood flow.
KeywordsCerebral Blood Flow Ammonium Acetate Hepatic Coma Local Cerebral Blood Flow INTRAARTERIAL Infusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aickin, C., and Thomas, R.C., 1977, Microelectrode measurement of the intracellular pH and buffering power in mouse soleus muscle fibers, J. Physiol., 267: 791.Google Scholar
- Altenau, L.L., and Kindt, G.W., 1977, Cerebral vasomotor paralysis produced by ammonia intoxication, Acta Neurol. Scand., 56: 346.Google Scholar
- Barey, W., Siwecka, B., Gronczewski, J., and Skolasinska, K., 1980, The depressive action of ammonium chloride on the hepatic blood flow in sheep, Q. J. Exp. Physiol., 65: 99.Google Scholar
- Bessmann, S.P., and Pal, N., 1976, The Krebs cycle depletion theory of hepatic coma, in.: “The Urea Cycle”, S. Grisolia, R. Baguena, F. Mayor, eds., John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 83–89.Google Scholar
- Hawkins, R.A., Miller, A.L., Nielson, R.C., and Veech, R.L., 1973, The acute action of ammonia in rat brain metabolism in vitro, Biochem. J., 34: 1001.Google Scholar
- Kessler, M., Höper, J., and Simon, W., 1974, Methodology and application of a multiple ions selective surface electrode (pH, pK, pNa, pCa, pCl) for tissue measurements, Fed. Proc., 33: 279.Google Scholar
- Kessler, M., and Lübbers, D.W., 1966, Aufbau und Anwendungsmöglichkeiten verschiedener Po2-Elektroden, Pflügers Arch. Ges. Physiol., 291: R32.Google Scholar
- McKhan, G.M., and Tower, G., 1961, Ammonia toxicity and cerebral oxidative metabolism, Am. J. Physiol., 200(3): 420.Google Scholar