Mixing Patterns in Large-Scale Fluidized Beds
A survey is given of experimental data on mixing in fluidized beds of small and large diameter. Two-phase theory is used to express mixing in terms of mass-transfer and dense phase eddy diffusivity.
Early unpublished information on the performance of commercial catalytic cracking regenerators is used to provide some approximate figures on the mixing behaviour of these units. Two other full scale reactors are analysed in a similar way.
A comparison between small and large fluidized beds shows that differences and similarities can probably be explained on the basis of flow regimes.
KeywordsEddy Diffusivity Dense Phase Residence Time Distribution Turbulent Regime Superficial Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avedesian, M.M., 1974, Roasting Zinc Concentrate in Fluidized beds, Paper No. 5d, presented at the 24th annual Conf. of the C.S.Ch.E., Ottawa.Google Scholar
- Bohle, W. and van Swaay, W.P.M., 1978, Proc, 2nd Eng. Foundation Conference on Fluidization, 167.Google Scholar
- Danckwerts, P.V., Jenkinsm J.W. and Place, G., 1954, Chem. Eng. Sci., 3, 26.Google Scholar
- Van Deemter, J.J., 1957, Shell Oil Co. Report.Google Scholar
- Van Deemter, J.J., 1961, Chem. Eng. Sci., 13, 143.Google Scholar
- De Groot, J.H., 1967, Proc. Intern. Symposium on Fluidization, Eindhoven, 782.Google Scholar
- Handlos, A.E., Kunstman, R.W. and Schissler, D.O., 1957, Ind. Eng. Chem., 49, 25.Google Scholar
- Jovanovic, G.N., Catipovic, N.M., Fitzgerald, T.J. and Levenspiel, 0., 1980, The Mixing of Tracer Gas in Fluidized Beds of Large Particles, Fluidization Conference, Henniker.Google Scholar
- Kolenko, T. and Collin, R., 1978, Proc. 2nd Eng. Foundation Conference on Fluidization, 246.Google Scholar
- May, W.G., 1959, Chem. Eng. Progress, 55, 49.Google Scholar
- Mutsers, S.M.P., 1979, Doctor’s Thesis, Techn. Univ. Eindhoven.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, H.V., Whitehead, A.B. and Potter, 0.E., 1978, Proc. 2nd Eng., Foundation Conference on Fluidization, 140.Google Scholar
- Rietema, K. and Mutsers, S.M.P., 1973, Proc. Intern. Symposium on Fluidization, Toulouse, 28.Google Scholar
- Rietema, K., 1979, Chem. Eng. Sci., 34, 571.Google Scholar
- Schügerl, K., 1967, Proc. Intern. Symposium on Fluidization, Eindhoven, 782.Google Scholar
- Van Swaay, W.P.M. and Zuiderweg, F.J., 1972, Proc. 5th Europ. Symposium on Chem. Reaction Eng., Amsterdam, B9 – 25.Google Scholar
- Van Swaay, W.P.M. and Zuiderweg, F.J., 1973, Proc. Intern. Symposium on Fluidization, Toulouse, 454.Google Scholar
- De Vries. R.J., van Swaay, W.P.M., Mantovani, C. and Heijkoop, A., 1972, Proc. 5th Europ. Symposium on Chem. Reaction Eng., Amsterdam, B9 – 59.Google Scholar
- Whitehead, A.B., Potter, 0.E., Nguyen, H.V. and Dent, D.C., 1980, Gas Backmixing in 0.61 m and 1.22 m square Fluidization Beds, Fluidization Conference, Henniker.Google Scholar
- Yerushalmi, J. and Squires, A.M., 1977, A.I.Ch.E. Symposium Series, No. 161, 44.Google Scholar