Influence of Quaternary Ammonium Salts on Cellulose Modification
Current interest in cellulose chemistry is focused on two areas; a) development of cellulose solvents to provide direct methods for solution spinning and b) development of techniques to control distribution of substituents along the cellulose backbone. Homogeneous substitution,i.e., random distribution of substituents among all the anhydroglucose units in the chain,can be accomplished by initial dissolution of the cellulose substrate followed by reaction in a homogenious media.1 However,solutions of native cellulose are extremely viscous, so it is unlikely that substrate concentration levels high enough to allow commercially feasible production of derivatives could be employed.
KeywordsQuaternary Ammonium Salt Ethyl Cellulose Benzyl Chloride Anionic Polymerization Phase Transfer Catalysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. F. Turbak, R. B. Hammer, R. E. Davies, H. L. Hergert, Chemtech., 10, 51 (1980); B. Philipp, H. Schleicher, and W. Wagenknecht, Chemtech, 7, 702 (1977); C. L. McCormick and T. S. Shen in “Macromol. Solutions-Prop. Relat. Polym., (Pap. Symp.)” ed. by R. B. Seymour and G. A. Stahl, Pergamon, New York, 1982, p. 101.Google Scholar
- 2.C. M. Starks and C. Liotta, “Phase Transfer Catalysis, Principles and Techniques”, Academic Press, New York, 1978; W. P. Weber and G. W. Gokel, “Phase Transfer Catalysis in Organic Synthesis” Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1977.Google Scholar
- 3.W. H. Daly and J. Caldwell, J. Polymer Sci. Polymer Letters, 17, 55 (1979).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Gomberg and C. Buchler, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 43, 1904 (1921); H. Okada, Cellulose Chemie, 12, 11 (1931); D. Traill, J. Soc. Chem. Ind. Trans, and Comm. 337T (1934).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Dockx, Synthesis, 441 (1973).Google Scholar
- 7.A. B. Savage, “Ethyl Cellulose”, in Encyclopedia of Polymer Science, 3, 475 (1965).Google Scholar
- 8.N. M. Bikales “Ethers from, -Unsaturated Compounds”, in “Cellulose and Cellulose Derivatives, Vol V, Part V” (N. M. Bikales and L. Segal,Eds.), Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1971, p 811.Google Scholar
- 9.ASTM D 1439-63T (1963).Google Scholar