The Effects of Sodium Phenobarbital on Voluntary Ethanol Consumption in Rats
The barbiturates, among other sedatives, have been studied in alcohol research primarily in the alleviation of the withdrawal reaction in animals (2) and humans (14). However, barbiturates are dip-sogenic agents and have not been studied thoroughly in relation to consumption of ethanol or alcoholic beverages.
KeywordsEthanol Solution Chronic Administration Ethanol Consumption Ethanol Intake Percent Intake
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Falk, J. L. and Burnidge, G. K. Fluid intake and punishment-attenuating drugs. Physiol. Behav. 5: 199–202, 1970.Google Scholar
- 2.Goldstein, D. B. An animal model for testing effects of drugs on alcohol withdrawal reactions. J. Pharmacol, exp. Ther. 183: 14–22, 1972.Google Scholar
- 3.Kachanoff, R. The effect of phénobarbital and chlordiazepoxide on water and alcohol intake. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Arizona State University, 1969.Google Scholar
- 5.Myers, R. D. Voluntary alcohol consumption in animals: Peripheral and intracerebral factors. Psychosom. Med. 28: 484–497, 1966.Google Scholar
- 7.Rondeau, D. B., Wayner, M. J. and Jolicoeur, F. B. Modification of ethanol preference in the rat by chronic administration of phenobarbital. Paper presented at Medical-Scientific Conference of National Council of Alcoholism, Washington, D.C., May 6–8, 1976.Google Scholar
- 9.Schmidt, H., Jr. Water intake as an index of drug action. In M. J. Wayner (Ed.) Thirst in the Regulation of Body Water, pp. 185–209. Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1964.Google Scholar
- 10.Schmidt, H., Jr. Variations in water ingestion: The response to barbiturates. In W. A. Himwich and J. P. Schade (Eds.) Progress in Brain Research, Vol. 16, Horizons in Neuropsychopharmacology, pp. 263–284. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1965.Google Scholar
- 12.Schmidt, H., Jr. and Dry, L. Dose and time as variables in barbiturate action upon water ingestion. Amer. J. Physiol. 204: 817–820, 1963.Google Scholar
- 13.Schmidt, H., Jr. and Moak, S. J. Some drug effects in Influencing barbiturate facilitation of water ingestion. Amer. J. Physiol. 196: 307–310, 1959.Google Scholar
- 15.Wayner, M. J., Jolicoeur, F. B., Rondeau, D. B. and Merkel, A. D. The effects of sodium phenobarbital on forced and voluntary alcohol consumption in the rat. In J. D. Sinclair and K. Kiianmaa (Eds.) The Effects of Centrally Active Drugs on Voluntary Alcohol Consumption, Vol. 24, pp. 35–48. Helsinki: The Finnish Foundation for Alcohol Studies, 1975.Google Scholar
- 18.Wallgren, H. and Barry, H., III, Actions of Alcohol, Vol. II; Chronic and Clinical Aspects, pp. 403–477. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1970.Google Scholar