Antigenic Variation in Malaria
- 108 Downloads
Like most protozoan infections malaria is usually chronic. Even in the absence of persistent exoerythrocytic infection parasites may remain in the blood for months after antiplasmodial antibody is detectable in the serum.
KeywordsProtective Immunity Antigenic Variation Blood Parasite Plasmodium Berghei Rodent Malaria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, K.N. 1973. Antibody induced variation in malaria parasites. Nature (Lond.) 242: 49–50.Google Scholar
- Brown, K.N. 1974. Antigenic variation and immunity to malaria. In Parasites in the Immunized Host: Mechanisms of Survival. Ciba Foundation Symposium 25 (new series. Porter, R. & Knight, J., Eds.: 35–51. Associated Scientific Publishers. Amsterdam, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Brown, K.N. & Brown, I.N. 1965. Immunity to malaria: antigenic variation in chronic infections of Plasmodium knowlesi. Nature (Lond.) 208: 1286–1288.Google Scholar
- Brown, K.N., Jarra, W. & Hills, L.A. 1976. T cells and protective immunity to Plasmodium berghei in rats. Infec. Immun. 14: 858–871.Google Scholar
- Corradetti, A. 1974. Prospect of vaccination in human malaria. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Malaria Research. Rabat, Morocco, 287. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Freund, J., Thomson, K.J., Sommer, H.E., Walter, A.W. & Pisani, T.M. 1945. Immunization of monkeys against malaria by means of killed parasites with adjuvants. Am. J. Trop. Med. 28: 1–22.Google Scholar
- McDonald, V. & Phillips, R.S. 1975. Immunity to Plasmodium vinckei chabaudi in mice: attempts to understand the role of different lymphoid cell types. J. Protozool. 22: 54A.Google Scholar
- Stechschulte, D.J. 1969. Plasmodium berghei infection in thymectomized rats. Proa Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 131: 748–752.Google Scholar
- Taliaferro, W.H. & Mulligan, A.W. 1937. The histopathology of malaria with special reference to the function and origin of the macrophages in defence. Indian Med. Res. Mem. 29: 138.Google Scholar
- Trigg, P.I. & Shapespeare, P.G. 1975. Factors affecting the invasion of erythrocytes by Plasmodium knowlesi in vitro. J. Protozool. 22: 57A.Google Scholar