The 5.5 MeV Anomalous Gamma Radiation in 205Tl(n,γ)206 Tl
An enhancement at 5.5 MeV in the γ-ray spectra following ther-mal and fast neutron capture in the mass region 180<A<208 represents a significant departure from the statistical model and has been interpreted in terms of doorway states1,2) This anomaly appreaches a maximum at Tl and we have studied its magnitude and yariation with neutron energy in the 205Tl(n, γ)206Tl reaction. The low lying level structure of 206Tl is well known (fig. 1). These states have been observed in the (d, α), (t, α) and (d, p) reactions3–5), The level scheme calculated by Kuo and Herling6) is generally in good agreement with experiment and consequently we have a knowledge of the various proton-hole, neutron-hole amplitudes of many of these states. Such data are invaluable for analysis of the capture γ-ray spectra.
KeywordsNeutron Energy Capture Mechanism Neutron Hole Doorway State Neutron Width
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).G.A. Bartholomew, Proc. Int. Conf. Neutron Capture †-ray Spectroscopy, Studsvik 1969, I.A.E.A. (1969) 553 and references therein.Google Scholar
- 6).T.T.S. Kuo and G.H. Herling, NRL Memorandum Report 2258 (1971).Google Scholar
- 8).G.E. Thomas, L.M. Bollinger and R.E. Cote, private communication.Google Scholar
- 9).F.C. Khanna, private communication.Google Scholar
- 10).J.E. Lynn, Theory of Neutron Resonance Reactions (Clarendon Press, Oxford 1968) p. 326.Google Scholar