Decompositions of Relations: A Comprehensive Approach
In this paper a new integrity constraint, called general dependencies, is introduced. It generalizes a number of well-known types of constraints. A corresponding decomposition property is given and a set of inference rules is presented.
A characterization of trivial general dependencies and of unique disjoint general dependencies (a restricted type of general dependencies) is also included. The proofs of these characterizations show that the given set of inference rules is complete for these classes of dependencies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Beeri, C., Fagin, R., and Howard, J. H.  “A Complete Axiomatization for Functional and Multivalued Dependencies in Relational Data BAses”, Proc. ACM SIGMOD 3rd Conf. on Management of Data, Toronto, Canada, August 1977, 47–61.Google Scholar
- 5.Codd, E. F.  “Further Normalization of the Data Base Relational Model”, In: Data Base Systems, Courant Com. Sc. Symp. Series 6 (R. Rusin, Ed.), Prentice-Hall, 1971, 33–64.Google Scholar
- 6.Dayal, U., Bernstein, P.  “The Fragmentation Problem: Lossless Decomposition of Relations into Files”, TR. CCA-78–13, Computer Corporation of America, Cambridge, Mass., 1978.Google Scholar
- 8.Delobel, C. and Pichat, E.  “Application de l’algèbre aux modèles de données relationnels”, Congres AFCET-SMF, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.Fagin, R.  “Normal Forms and Relational Database Operators,” ACM SIGMOD, Boston, May 30-June 1, 1979, 153–160.Google Scholar
- 11.Maier, D. and Mendelzon, A.  “Generalized Mutual Dependencies and the Decomposition of Database Relations,” Proc. 5th Intl. Conf. on VLDB, Rio de Janeiro, Oct. 1979, 75–82.Google Scholar
- 12.Nicolas, J. M.  “Mutual Dependencies and Some Results on Undecomposable Relations”, Proceedings of VLDB, 1978.Google Scholar
- 13.Paredaens, J.  “The Interaction of Integrity Constraints in an Information System”, to appear in JCSS, 1980.Google Scholar
- 14.Paredaens, J.  “Transitive Dependencies in a Database Scheme,” MBLE, R387, 1979, to appear in RAIRO Informatique/Computer Science 14, 2, (1980).Google Scholar
- 15.Rissanen, J.  “Theory of Relations for Databases — A Tutorial Survey”, Proc. 7th Symp. on Math. Found. of Comp. Sci., Lecture Notes in Comp. Science 64, Springer-Verlag, 1978, 537–551.Google Scholar
- 16.Sadri, F., and Ullman, J.  “Template Dependencies”, unpubl. manuscript, Stanford Univ., 1980.Google Scholar
- 17.Zaniolo, C.  “Analysis and Design of Relational Schemata for Databse Systems,” UCLA-ENG-7669, University of California, Los Angeles, 1976.Google Scholar