Somatostatins of the Channel Catfish
- 59 Downloads
Pancreatic tissue of the channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) contains two somatostatins. The amino acid sequence of a 14-residue containing peptide (SS-14) is identical in sequence and has the same mass ion by fast atom bombardment mass spectrometry as mammalian SS-14. A 22-residue somatostatin (SS-22) has also been isolated and its amino acid sequence determined. The amino acid sequence differs from that reported by Oyama et al. (J Biol Chem 255:2251, 1980) in two of the 22-residues (positions 5 and 19). Somatostatin-22 is a glycoprotein, with carbohydrate attached at Thr-5. Several 22-residue peptides have been purified and all of them have identical amino acid compositions and different carbohydrate structure and/or composition. SS-22 has 7 amino acid residues which are identical to those observed in SS-14. The nucleotide sequence of the two cDNAs coding for SS-14 and SS-22 have been determined. The mRNAs encode precursors to SS-14 and SS-22 of 114 and 105 residues, respectively. The two precursors also have different amino acid sequence at the site of prohormone proteolytic processing. Analysis of genomic DNA reveals that SS-14 and SS-22 sequences are present on different restriction fragments and thus are encoded by separate genes.
KeywordsChannel Catfish Growth Hormone Release Ictalurus Punctatus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Koerker D, Ruth W, Chideckel E, Palmer J, Goodner CJ, Ensinck J, Gale CG 1974 Somatostatin: Hypothalamic inhibitor of the endocrine pancreas. Science 184: 482.Google Scholar
- 4.Bloom SR, Thorner MO, Mortimer CH, Besser GM, Hall R, Gomez-Pan A, Roy VM, Russell RCG, Coy DH, Kastin AJ, Schally AV 1975 Inhibition of gastrin and gastric-acid secretion by growth-hormone release-inhibiting hormone. Lancet 2: 1106.Google Scholar
- 9.Lauber M, Carnier Pi, Cohen P 1979 Higher molecular weight forms of immunoreactive somatostatin in mouse hypothalamic extracts: Evidence of processing in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA) 76: 6004.Google Scholar
- 11.Noe BD 1981 Synthesis of one form of pancreatic islet somatostatin predominates. J Biol Chem 256: 937.Google Scholar
- 17.Andrews PC, Pubols MH, Hermodson MA, Sheares BM, Dixon JE 1984 Structure of the 22-residue somatostatin from catfish: an 0-glycosylated peptide having multiple forms. J 3iol Chem 259: 13267.Google Scholar
- 20.Andrews PC, Pubols MH, Dixon JE unpublished results.Google Scholar
- 22.Ninth CD, Taylor WL, Magazin M, Tavianini M, Collier K, Weith HL, Dixon JE 1982 The structure of cloned DNA complementary to catfish pancreatic somatostatin-14 messenger RNA. J Biol Chem 257: 10372.Google Scholar