Clinical Applications of Somatostatin Analogs
- 61 Downloads
It has often been shown that tetradecapeptide somatostatin (S-14), discovered in 1973 by Brazeau et al. (1), is effective in the treatment of acromegaly, as adjunct to insulin therapy of type I diabetes, in stopping gastrointestinal bleeding, in treatment of carcinoid syndrome, etc. But S-14 has always had to be given as an iv infusion, which has severely limited its practical application. It was therefore an important exercise of peptide chemists to improve the metabolic stability of the molecule, i.e. to synthesize analogs with a longer duration of action. However, until quite recently, little progress had been made in providing clinically useful compounds.
KeywordsAcromegalic Patient Carcinoid Syndrome Glucagon Release Increase Infusion Rate Octapeptide Analogue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Raptis S, Zoupas CH, Mallas E, Moulopoulos S 1978 Effects of a new somatostatin analogue in insulin dependent diabetics. Diabetologia 15: 264.Google Scholar
- 12.Reding P, Naeije R, Melot C, Hallemans R, Mols P 1980 Action de deux types de somatostatine sur l’hémodynamique portale, pulmonaire et systémique du patient cirrhotique. Gastroentérologie Clin Biol (France) 4: 928.Google Scholar
- 13.Long RG, Peters JR, Grahame-Smith DC, O’Shaughnessy DJ, Vale W, Rivier JE, Brown MR, Bloom SR 1980 Effects of somatostatin on flushing and plasma gastrointestinal peptides in the carcinoid syndrome. Clin Sci 59: 9 P.Google Scholar
- 17.Wajchenberg BL, Cesar FP, Leme CE, Borghi VC, Souza ITT, Neto DG, Germek OA, Coy DH, Comaru-Schally AM, Schally AV 1983 1983 Dissociated effects of somatostatin analogs on arginineinduced insulin, glucagon and growth hormone release in acromegalic patients. Horm Metab Res 15: 471.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Plewe G, Beyer J, Krause U, Neufeld 14, del Pozo E, Program of the 7th International Congress of Endocrinology, Quebec City 1984 ( Abstract).Google Scholar
- 24.Wood SM, Polak JM, Bloom SR 1983 Gut hormone secreting tumours. Scand J Gastroenterol 18 (Suppl 82): 165.Google Scholar
- 27.Dharmsathaphron K, Sherwin RS, Cataland S, Jaffe B, Dobbins J 1980 Somatostatin inhibits diarrhoea in the carcinoid syndrome. Am Int Med 92: 68.Google Scholar
- 29.Kraenzlin ME, Ch’ng JLC, Wood SM, Bloom SR 1984 Remission of symptoms and shrinkage of metastasis with long term treatment with somatostatin analogue. Gut 25: A576.Google Scholar