The arachnoid cysts that develop over the cerebral convexity differ from those localized in other intracranial regions, because of the apparent lack of any anatomical relationship with a cisternal space. In fact, the scissura of Sylvius, an extension of which has been hypothesized as giving rise to at least those arachnoid cysts overlying the cerebral cortex, which reach considerable proportions, is classed among the sulci rather than the cisternae by the majority of authors.1 The cysts of the cerebral convexity should not be confused with focal accumulations of cerebro-spinal fluid (CSF), which are frequent in the sulci of the medial frontoparietal convexities in the form of lakes or pockets, freely communicating with the subarachnoid space.2 On the other hand, arachnoid cysts of the cerebral convexities do not usually show any communication with the surrounding fluid spaces, both in cases of small-sized lesions and huge cysts extending all over the cerebral hemisphere.
KeywordsArachnoid Cyst Calvarial Bone Chronic Subdural Hematoma Cerebral Parenchyma Lateral Cerebral Ventricle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Liliequist B: The subarachnoid cisterns. Acta Radiol Suppl (Stockh) 185:108, 1959.Google Scholar
- 2.Shaw CM, Alvord E Jr.: “Congenital arachnoid” cysts and their differential diagnosis. In: Vinken PJ, Bruyn GW (eds.). Congenital Malformations of the Brain and Skull, Part II, Vol. 31. North Holland, Amsterdam; 1977, 102.Google Scholar
- 8.Leo JS, Pinto RS, Hulvat GF, Epstein F, Kricheff II: Computed tomography of arachnoid cysts. Radiology 38:57–68, 1979.Google Scholar
- 13.McCullough DC, Harbert JC, Manz HJ: Large arachnoid cysts at the cranial base. Neuro-surgery 6:76–81, 1980.Google Scholar
- 18.Harsh GR, Edwards MSB, Wilson CB: Intracranial arachnoid cysts in children. J Neuro-surg 64:835–842, 1986.Google Scholar
- 19.Choux M, Yanez A: Arachnoid cysts. In: Hoffman HJ, Epstein F (eds.). Anomalies of Developing Central Nervous System. Blackwell Scientific, Boston, 1987, 175–189.Google Scholar
- 21.Raffel C, McComb JG: To shunt or to fenestrate: which is the best surgical treatment for arachnoid cysts in pediatrics patients? Neuro-surgery 23:338–342, 1988.Google Scholar
- 24.Robinson RG: Congenital cysts of the brain: arachnoid malformations. Prog Neurol Surg 4:133–174, 1971.Google Scholar