Biochemical and Molecular Tools for the Production of Useful Terpene Products from Pepper (Capsicum Annuum)
- 556 Downloads
Among other natural products such as colorants and flavorants, natural fungicides like the pepper phytoalexin capsidiol, and the related biochemical pathways, may be used for practical approaches. Key enzymes such as 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl Coenzyme A: reductase, the farnesyl pyrophosphate synthase and and farnesyl pyrophosphate cyclases are known and some related genes have been isolated. However, specific enzymes for important and final modifications as methylation and others, are still to be studied. Construction of chimeric enzymes allowed already the synthesis of different products and the possibilities of designing new enzymes by gene manipulation to produce unknown and useful chemicals are open.
KeywordsCapsicum Annuum Chili Pepper Pepper Fruit Farnesyl Pyrophosphate Isopentenyl Pyrophosphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alborn, H.T.; Turlings, T.C.J.; Jones, T.H.; Stenhagen, G.; Loughrin, J.H.; Tumlinson, J.H. An elicitor of plant volatiles from beet armyworm oral secretion. Science 1997,276, 945–949.Google Scholar
- Bach, T. J.; Wettstein, A.; Boronat, A.; Ferrer, A.; Enjuto, M.; Gruissemm, W.; Narita, J. O. Properties and molecular cloning of plant HMG-CoA reductase. In Physiology and Biochemistry of Sterols; Patterson, G.W., Nes, W.D., Eds.; American Oil Chemists Society: Champaign, IL, USA, 1991; pp 29–49.Google Scholar
- Cane, D.E. Biosynthesis of sesquiterpenes. In Biosynthesis of Isoprenoid Compounds; Porter; J.W., Spurgeon, S. L. Eds.; John Wiley and Sons: New York, 1981; pp 283–374.Google Scholar
- Croteau, R. Biochemistry of monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes of the essential oils. In Herbs, Spices, and Medicinal Plants: Recent Advances in Botany, Horticulture, and Pharmacology; Craker, L.E., Simon, J.E. Eds.; The Haworth Press, Inc.: New York, Vol. 1, 1992; pp 81–133.Google Scholar
- de la Cruz, A.; Lopez, L.; Tenllado, F.; Diaz-Ruiz, J.R.; Sanz, A.I.; Vaquero, C; Serra, M.T.; Garcia-Luque, I. The coat protein is required for the elicitation of the Capsicum L2 gene-mediated resistance against the to-bamoviruses. Mol Plant Microbe. Interact. 1997,10, 107–113.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Narila, J.O.; Gruissem, W. Tomalo hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA reductase is required early in fruit development but not during ripening. Plant Cell 1989, 1, 181–190.Google Scholar
- Wong, R.J.; McCormack, D.K.; Russell, D.W. Plaslid 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase has distinctive kinetic and regulatory features: properties of the enzyme and positive phytochrome control of activity in pea seedlings. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 1982, 216, 631–638.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zook, M.; Johnson, K.; Hohn, T.; Hammerschmidt, R. Structural characterization of 15-hydroxytrichodiene, a ses-quiterpenoid produced by transformed tobacco cell suspension cultures expressing a trichodiene synthase gene from Fusarium sporotrichioides. Phytochemistry 1996, 43, 1235–1237.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar