Production of Recombinant Blood Factors in Transgenic Plants
- 543 Downloads
The production of recombinant proteins for therapeutic use in transgenic plants has become an alternative to the isolation of these molecules from natural or other recombinant sources. Plant bioreactors offer the possibility of an inexpensive large scale production of high volumes of recombinant proteins with increased safety concerning contaminations with human pathogens. Several laboratories are involved in the commercial production of the first recombinant products, such as antibodies or recombinant human hemoglobin, from transgenic plants.
KeywordsTransgenic Plant Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type Transgenic Tobacco Plant Secretory Component Beta Globin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dalsgaard, K., Uttenthal, A., Jones, T.D., Zu, F., Merryweather, A., Hamilton, W.D.O., Langeveld, J.P.M., Boshuizen, R.S., Kamstrup, S., Lomonossoff, G.P., Porta, C., Vela, C., Casal, J.I., Meloen, R.H. and Rodg-ers, P.B. Plant-derived vaccine protects target animals against a viral disease. Nature Biotechnology 1997, 15,248–252.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dodet, B. Production de protéines recombinantes: quel system choisir? Biofutur 1990, 91, 20–29.Google Scholar
- Gomord, V. and Faye, L. Signals and mechanisms involved in intracellular transport of secreting proteins in plants. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 1996, 34, 165–181.Google Scholar
- McLain L., Durrani, Z., Wisniewski, L.A., Porta, C., Lomonossof, G.P. and Dimmock, N.J. Stimulation of neutralizing antibodies to human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in three strains of mice immunized with a 22 amino acid peptide of gp 41 expressed on the surface of a plant virus. Vaccine 1996 14, 799–809.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Verbert, A. La glycosylation des protéines recombinantes. Biofutur 1993, 125, 40–44.Google Scholar
- Wandelt, C.I, Rafiqul M., Khan, L, Craig, S., Schroeder, H.E., Spencer D. and Higgins, T.J.V. Vicilin with car-boxy-terminal KDEL is retained in the endoplasmic reticulum to high levels in leaves of transgenic plants. Plant J. 1992, 181–192.Google Scholar
- Whitelam, G.C. and Cockburn, W. Antibody expression in transgenic plants.Trends Plant Sci. 1996, 8, 268–272.Google Scholar