Connectin: From Regular to Giant Sizes of Sarcomeres
- 181 Downloads
In 1968, the late Professor John W. S. Pringle invited Koscak Maruyama (KM) to work on actomyosin ATPase activity of indirect flight muscle of the waterbug in his ARC Unit of Muscular Mechanics at Oxford. KM spent a few months there in 1968 as well as in 1972. During his stay in Oxford, he came across Charles Trombitás’ work on the fine structure of insect flight muscle with special reference to C-filament, now known as projectin filament (Trombitás and Tigyi-Sebes, 1977).
KeywordsMyosin Heavy Chain Sarcomere Length Flight Muscle Myosin Filament Indirect Flight Muscle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fukuzawa A, Kimura S, Maruyama K. Studies on connectin-like 3000 kDa protein of crayfish giant sarcomeres. Zool Sci 1999;16:49.Google Scholar
- Itoh Y, Suzuki T, Kimura S, Ohashi K, Higuchi H, Sawada H, Shimizu T, Shibata M, Maruyama K. Extensible and less-extensible domains of connectin filaments in stretched vertebrate skeletal muscle sarcomeres as detected by immunofluorescence and immunoelectron microscopy using monoclonal antibodies. J Biochem 1988;104:504–508.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maruyama K, Endo T, Kume H, Kawamura Y, Kanzawa N, Nakauchi Y, Kimura S, Kawashima S, Maruyama K. A novel domain sequence of connectin localized at the I-band of skeletal muscle sarcomeres — Homology to neurofilament subunits. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1993;194:1288–1291.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maruyama K, Ohtani Y, Maki S, Kawamura Y, Benian G, Kagawa H, Kimura S. Connectin-related phenomena and biodiversity of the connectin family. In Calcium as Cell Signal, K Maruyama, Y Nonomura, K. Kohama, eds. Tokyo/New York: Igaku-Shoin. 1994;73–79.Google Scholar
- Obermann WMJ, Gautel M, Steiner F, van der Ven PFM, Weber K, Fürst DO. The structure of the sarcomeric M-band: localization of defined domains of myomesin, M-protein and the 250 kDa carboxyterminal region of titin by immunoelectron microscopy. J Cell Biol 1996;134:1441–1453.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Trombitás C, Tigyi-Sebes A. Fine structure and mechanical properties of insect muscle. In Insect Flight Muscle, RT Tregear, ed. North Holland: Amsterdam/Oxford. 1977;79–90.Google Scholar