Design for Reliability Guidelines
- 79 Downloads
Solder joint reliability is a significant issue as the solder joint area becomes smaller. Achieving reliability over the expected service life in a product using fine pitch packages must be addressed at the design level. After all, the surface mounted fine pitch leads are the only means of mechanical support and electrical connection to the package.
KeywordsSolder Joint Fatigue Damage Fine Pitch Solder Joint Reliability Fatigue Hysteresis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balde, J. W. 1987. The IEEE Compliant Lead Task Force. IEEE Transactions CHMT-10 (3) pp. 463–469.Google Scholar
- 2.Engelmaier, W. 1991. Designing for SMT Solder Joint Reliability. Dearborn, MI: Society of Manufacturing Engineers.Google Scholar
- 3.Engelmaier, W. 1991. Private correspondence.Google Scholar
- 4.Evans, J. and Engelmaier, W. 1990. SMT Reliability for Space Flight Applications. In Surface Mount Technology, Nov., 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.Mandel, C. E. N. 1989. Environmental Stress Screening. In Electronic Materials Handbook, Vol. I. Materials. Park, OH: ASM Intrnational.Google Scholar
- 6.Marcoux, P. 1987. Implementation and Control Techniques for SMT. San Jose, CA: International Quality Technologies.Google Scholar
- 7.Marcoux, P. et. al 1991. Status of the Technology and Action Plan. Lincolnwood, IL: Surface Mount Council.Google Scholar
- 8.McShane, M. et. al. 1990. Lead Configuration and Performance for Fine Pitch SMT Reliability. Proceedings of Nepcon West ‘80, Feb. 1990, Anaheim, CA.Google Scholar