The Epidemiologic Approach to the Study of Protease Inhibitors
Protease inhibitors differ from other cancer-related dietary items in that the weight of the evidence of their protective effects is based on experimental and in vitro models rather than on studies in humans. For that reason the present comments focus on how to approach the issue from an epidemiologic point of view, with the purpose of establishing whether or not there is a causal association between protease inhibitors and human cancer. The multifactorial etiology of human cancer is a generally accepted scientific proposition. Protease inhibitors, therefore, may be just one of the factors in a complex interplay of carcinogenic and anticarcinogenic influences.
KeywordsProtease Inhibitor Green Leafy Vegetable Pancreatic Cancer Risk Protease Inhibitor Activity Cancer Chemopreventive Agent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, C. F., (ed.), Nutritive Value of American Foods in Common Units, Agriculture Handbook No. 456, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Carroll, K. K., Gammel, E. B., and Plunkett, E. R., 1968, Dietary fat and mammary cancer, Can. Med. Assoc. J. 23:590–594.Google Scholar
- Mills, P. K., Annegers, J. F., and Phillips, R. L., 1988a, Animal product consumption and subsequent fatal breast cancer risk among Seventh Day Adventists, Am. J. Epidemiol. 127(3):440–453.Google Scholar
- Segi, M., Kurihara, M., and Matsuyama, T., 1969, Cancer Mortality of Selected Sites in 24 Countries, No. 5 1964–65, Sendai: Japanese Department of Public Health, Tohoku University School of Medicine.Google Scholar
- Troll, W., and Yavelow, J., 1983, Protease inhibitors as anticarcinogens, in: Diet, Nutrition and Cancer: From Basic Research to Policy Implications (D. A. Roe, ed.), Liss, New York.Google Scholar
- Umezawa, K., 1972, Enzyme Inhibitors of Microbial Origin, University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo pp. 29–32.Google Scholar
- Watt, B. K., and Merrill, A. L., (eds.), 1975, Composition of Foods: Raw, Processed Prepared, Agriculture Handbook No. 8., U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar