Musculoskeletal Manifestations of Child Abuse
The notion that some children are injured by their caretakers and that intervention is therefore warranted is a relatively new one in this country. It was not until 1946 that Caffey described the now well-known association between fractures of long bones and subdural hematomas and not until 1962 that Kempe and colleagues galvanized the medical world with their description of the battered child syndrome. Since then, a rapidly burgeoning literature has addressed an increasingly complicated field, with newly described manifestations of abuse, including sexual abuse, being brought to the attention of the medical profession and the public.
KeywordsOsteoporosis Leukemia Anemia Dehydration Neutropenia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Chapter 3. References
- Ablin, D. S., Greenspan, A., Reinhart, M., and Grix, A., 1990, Differentiation of child abuse from osteogenesis imperfecta, American Journal of Roentgenology 154:1047–1048.Google Scholar
- Caffey, J., 1946, Multiple fractures in the long bones of infants suffering from chronic subdural hematoma.American Journal of Roentgenology 56:163–173.Google Scholar
- Caffey, J., and Silverman, F. N., 1967, Pediatric X-ray Diagnosis ,5th ed.. Year Book Medical Publishers,Chicago.Google Scholar
- Kempe, C. H., and Helfer, R. E., 1987, The Battered Child ,4th ed., University of Chicago Press, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Kogutt, M. S., Swischuk, L. E., and Fagan, C. J., 1974, Patterns of injury and significance of uncommon fractures in the battered child syndrome, American Journal of Roentgenology 121:143.Google Scholar
- Ozonoff, M. B., 1992, Pediatric Orthopedic Radiology ,Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Schmitt, B. D., and Krugman, R. D., 1992, Abuse and neglect of children, in: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics(R. E. Behrman, R. M. Kleigman, W. E. Nelson and V. C. Vaughan, eds.), Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Silverman, F. N., 1980, Radiologic and special diagnostic procedures, in: The Battered Child ,3rd ed. (C. H.Kempe and R. E. Helfer, eds.), University of Chicago Press, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Skinner, A. E., and Castle, R. L., 1969, Battered Children: A Retrospective Study ,National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, London.Google Scholar
- Tachdjian, M. D., 1972, Pediatric Orthopedics ,Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar