Cryogenic Helium System Angular Momentum and Moment Fluctuations Driven by Gravity Gradient in Microgravity
The dynamical behavior of fluids affected by the asymmetric gravity gradient acceleration and gravity jitter acceleration, in particular the effect of surface tension on partially-filled rotating fluids with special example applicable to a full-scale Gravity Probe-B Spacecraft dewar tank have been investigated. Results of slosh wave excitation along liquid-vapor interface induced by gravity gradient acceleration indicated that one-up one-down and one-down one-up oscillations of two bubbles in the cross-section of doughnut profiles in the vertical r-z plane of rotating dewar, and an eccentric contour of bubble rotating around the axis of dewar in horizontal r-θ plane. Results of slosh wave excitation along liquid-vapor interface induced by gravity jitter acceleration indicated equivalent to time-dependent oscillatory forces which push bubble in the combined bubble motion of down-and-up and leftward-and-rightward as the bubble is rotating with respect to rotating dewar axis. Fluctuations of angular momentum, fluid moment and bubble mass center caused by slosh wave excitations driven by gravity gradient acceleration or gravity jitter acceleration are also investigated.
KeywordsConvection Helium Azimuth Olin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Mason, P., Collins, D., Petrac, D., Yang, L., Edeskuty, F., Schuch, A., and Williamson, K., Proceedings 7th International Cryogenic Engineering Conferences, (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.Avduyevsky V. S. (editor), Scientific Foundations of Space Manufacturing, MIR, Moscow, USSR (1984).Google Scholar
- 9.Forward, R. L., Physical Review, Series D, 267: 735 (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.Misner, C. W., Thome, K. S., and Wheeler, J. A., W. H. Freeman Co., Gravitation San Francisco, CA, p. 1279 (1973).Google Scholar
- 22.Patankar, S. V., Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, Hemisphere-McGraw-Hill, New York, p. 197 (1980).Google Scholar
- 23.Patankar, S. V., A Calculation Procedure for Heat, Mass and Momentum Transfer in Three Dimensional Parabolic Flows, Int. J. of Heat Mass Transfer, 15: 15 (1972).Google Scholar