5-Fluorouracil Combined with the Pure [6S]-Stereoisomer of Folinic Acid in High Doses for Treatment of Patients with Advanced Colorectal Carcinoma: A Phase I–II Study of two Consecutive Regimens
Folinic acid ([6R,S]-5-CHO-FH4) given in concentrations greatly exceeding that required for optimal cell growth, increases the cytotoxic action of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and fluorodeoxyuridine (FUdR)] in vitro (1,2,3). Potentiation of the antitumor activity of 5-FU by folinic acid has been demonstrated in patients with gastrointestinal carcinomas (4–10); this has resulted in effective palliative treatment for patients with advanced colorectal adenocarcinoma (607).
KeywordsOral Mucositis Folinic Acid Rapid Injection Advanced Colorectal Carcinoma Effective Palliative Treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Piedbois P, Buyse M, Rustum Y, et al, for the Advanced Colorectal Cancer Meta-Analysis Project: Modulation of 5-fluorouracil by leucovorin in patients with advanced colorectal cancer: Evidence in terms of response rate. J Clin Oncol 10: 896–903, 1992Google Scholar
- 10.Doroshow Jh, Multhauf P, Leong L, et al: Prospective randomized comparison of fluorouracil versus fluorouracil and high-dose continuous infusion leucovorin calcium for treatment of advanced measurable colorectal cancer in patients previously unexposed to chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 8: 491–501, 1990PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Levans RM, Laskin JD, Hakala MT: Effect of excess folates and deoxyinosine on the activity and site of action of 5-fluorouracil. Cancer Res 41: 3288–3295, 1981Google Scholar
- 15.Machover D: Potentiation of the antitumor activity of the fluoropyrimidines by leucovorin: Rationale and clinical data. In: Pinedo HM, Rustum YM, eds. Leucovorin modulation of fluoropyrimidines: A new frontier in cancer chemotherapy. International congress and symposium series number 158. London — New York: Royal Society of Medicine Services, 1989: 1–9Google Scholar
- 16.Valone Fh, Friedman Ma, Wittlinger Ps, et al: Treatment of patients with advanced colorectal carcinomas with 5-fluorouracil alone, high-dose leucovorin plus 5-fluorouracil, or sequential methotrexate, fluorouracil, and leucovorin: A randomized trial of the Northern California Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 7: 1427–1436, 1989PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Sato JK, Moran RG: Interaction of methotrexate and citrovorum factor at folyl polyglutamate synthetase. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 3: 312, 1984 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 26.Mcguire Jj, Russell Ca. Biological and biochemical properties of the natural (6S) and the unnatural (6R) isomers of leucovorin and their racemic (6R,S) mixture. J Cell Pharmacol 2: 317–323, 1991Google Scholar
- 28.Who Handbook for reporting results of cancer treatment. Geneva, World Health Organization, 1979Google Scholar
- 31.Houghton JA, Williams LG,, de Graaf SSN et al: Relationship between dose rate of [6RS]-leucovorin administration, plasma concentrations of reduced folates, and pools of 5, 10-methylene tetrahydrofolates and tetrahydrotblates in human adenocarcinoma xenografts. Cancer Res 50: 3493–3502, 1990PubMedGoogle Scholar