5-Fluorouracil Combined with the Pure [6S]-Stereoisomer of Folinic Acid in High Doses for Treatment of Patients with Advanced Colorectal Carcinoma: A Phase I–II Study of two Consecutive Regimens
Folinic acid ([6R,S]-5-CHO-FH4) given in concentrations greatly exceeding that required for optimal cell growth, increases the cytotoxic action of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and fluorodeoxyuridine (FUdR)] in vitro (1,2,3). Potentiation of the antitumor activity of 5-FU by folinic acid has been demonstrated in patients with gastrointestinal carcinomas (4–10); this has resulted in effective palliative treatment for patients with advanced colorectal adenocarcinoma (607).
KeywordsDiarrhea Methotrexate Folate Dermatitis Rhinitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Piedbois P, Buyse M, Rustum Y, et al, for the Advanced Colorectal Cancer Meta-Analysis Project: Modulation of 5-fluorouracil by leucovorin in patients with advanced colorectal cancer: Evidence in terms of response rate. J Clin Oncol 10: 896–903, 1992Google Scholar
- 10.Doroshow Jh, Multhauf P, Leong L, et al: Prospective randomized comparison of fluorouracil versus fluorouracil and high-dose continuous infusion leucovorin calcium for treatment of advanced measurable colorectal cancer in patients previously unexposed to chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 8: 491–501, 1990PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Levans RM, Laskin JD, Hakala MT: Effect of excess folates and deoxyinosine on the activity and site of action of 5-fluorouracil. Cancer Res 41: 3288–3295, 1981Google Scholar
- 15.Machover D: Potentiation of the antitumor activity of the fluoropyrimidines by leucovorin: Rationale and clinical data. In: Pinedo HM, Rustum YM, eds. Leucovorin modulation of fluoropyrimidines: A new frontier in cancer chemotherapy. International congress and symposium series number 158. London — New York: Royal Society of Medicine Services, 1989: 1–9Google Scholar
- 16.Valone Fh, Friedman Ma, Wittlinger Ps, et al: Treatment of patients with advanced colorectal carcinomas with 5-fluorouracil alone, high-dose leucovorin plus 5-fluorouracil, or sequential methotrexate, fluorouracil, and leucovorin: A randomized trial of the Northern California Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 7: 1427–1436, 1989PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Sato JK, Moran RG: Interaction of methotrexate and citrovorum factor at folyl polyglutamate synthetase. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 3: 312, 1984 (abstr)Google Scholar
- 26.Mcguire Jj, Russell Ca. Biological and biochemical properties of the natural (6S) and the unnatural (6R) isomers of leucovorin and their racemic (6R,S) mixture. J Cell Pharmacol 2: 317–323, 1991Google Scholar
- 28.Who Handbook for reporting results of cancer treatment. Geneva, World Health Organization, 1979Google Scholar
- 31.Houghton JA, Williams LG,, de Graaf SSN et al: Relationship between dose rate of [6RS]-leucovorin administration, plasma concentrations of reduced folates, and pools of 5, 10-methylene tetrahydrofolates and tetrahydrotblates in human adenocarcinoma xenografts. Cancer Res 50: 3493–3502, 1990PubMedGoogle Scholar