Molecular Properties of an NMDA Receptor Complex and Effects of Ethanol on the Expression of this Complex
One of the currently held beliefs about ethanol is that some of the acute and chronic effects of this alcohol on the central nervous system (CNS) of humans and experimental animals are the result of changes in the activity of glutamate neurotransmission in the brain and spinal cord. This belief is based on the recent demonstrations that ethanol inhibits the activity of a subset of neuronal receptors for the excitatory amino acid L-glutamic acid, the class of receptors known as the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDAR). These acute effects of ethanol on excitatory neurotransmitter function have been demonstrated for neurons grown in vitro in primary neuronal cultures as well as for neurons in brain slices (Hoffman et al., 1989; Lima-Landman and Albuquerque, 1989; Lovinger et al., 1989, 1990; White et al., 1990). The NMDAR is a subtype of the ion-channel forming receptors in the brain that are activated by the excitatory neurotransmitter L-glutamic acid (Watkins et al., 1990).
KeywordsNMDA Receptor Glutamate Receptor Cerebellar Granule Cell Chronic Ethanol Synaptic Membrane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balazs, R., Resink, A., Hack, N., Van der Valk, J.B.F., Kumar, K.N. and Michaelis, E.K., 1992, NMDA treatment and K+-induced depolarization selectively promote the expression of an NMDA-preferring class of the ionotropic glutamate receptors in cerebellar granule neurones, Neurosci. Lett. 137: 109–113.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- lorio, K., Hoffman, P.L., Tabakoff, B., Kumar, K.N. and Michaelis, E.K., 1992, Increased NMDA receptor function in cerebellar granule cells exposed chronically to ethanol, Neurosci. Abs. 18: 978.Google Scholar
- Kumar, K.N., Mattson, M.P., Wang. H., Cheng, B. and Michaelis, E.K., 1992, Antisense oligonucleotides to a 71 kDa glutamate-binding protein decrease expression of functional NMDA receptors, Neurosci. Abs. 18: 258.Google Scholar
- Meguro, H., Mori, H., Araki, K., Kushiya, E., Kutsuwada, T., Yamazaki, M., Kumanishi, T., Arakawa, M., Sakimura, K. and Mishina, M., 1992,Google Scholar
- Functional charaterization of a heteromeric NMDA receptor channel expressed from cloned cDNAs, Nature 357:70–74.Google Scholar
- Michaelis, E.K., Michaelis, M.L. and Freed, W.J., 1980, Chronic ethanol intake and synaptosomal glutamate binding activity, in “Biological Effects of Alcohol-Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology.” H. Begleiter, ed., Vol. 126, Plenum, New York, pp. 43–56.Google Scholar
- Michaelis, E.K., Michaelis, M.L., Kumar, K.N., Tilakaratne, N., Joseph, D.B., Johnson, P.S., Babcock, K.T., Aistrup, G.L. and Schowen, R.L., 1992, Purification, reconstitution, and cloning of an NMDA-ion channel complex from rat brain synaptic membranes: Implications for neurobiological changes in alcoholism, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 654: 7–18.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar