Effects of 5-Hydroxytryptamine Inhibition on Gas Exchange and Pulmonary Hemodynamics in Acute Canine Pulmonary Embolism
5-Hydroxytryptamine (Serotonin; 5-HT), a potent vasoconstrictor of pulmonary arteries, has been reported to play an important role in cardiopulmonary dysfunction that accompanies pulmonary embolization (Huval et al.,1983). The quantitative effects of 5-HT on gas exchange efficiency, however, have not been systematically investigated in pulmonary embolism. Using a new type of selective serotonin receptor antagonist, we examined the distribution of ventilation-perfusion (VA/Q) ratios and pulmonary hemodynamics to clarify the effects of serotonin on gas exchange in acute canine pulmonary embolism.
KeywordsCatheter Acetone Attenuation Bromide Polyethylene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caldini, P., 1965, Pulmonary hemodynamics and arterial oxygen saturation in pulmonary emboli, J.Appl.Physiol. 20: 184–190.Google Scholar
- Cheney, F., Paulin, J., and Ferene, B.S., 1973, Effect of pulmonary microembolism on arteriovenous shunt flow, J.Thorac.Cardiovasc.Surg. 4: 473–477.Google Scholar
- Ishibe, Y.,Suekane, K., Nakamura, M., Izumi, T., Umeda, T., Sagawa, Y., Satoh, K., and Oh, M., 1987, Measurement of lung water with double indicator dilution method using heat and sodium ions in dogs, Jap.Anesth.J.Rev. 2:5–7.Google Scholar
- Levy S.E., Simmons, D.H., 1971, Serotonin pulmonary hypertension and airway constriction in the anesthetized dog, Pro. Sci. Exp.Biol.Med. 138:365–368.Google Scholar
- Thomas, D.P.,and Gurewich, V., 1966, Role of platelets in sudden death induced by experimental pulmonary emboli, Circulation 22: 207–209.Google Scholar
- Thomas, D.P., Gurewich, V., and Ashford T.P., 1966, Platelet adherence to thromboembolism, N. Engl. J. Med. 274: 952–958Google Scholar
- Wagner, P.D., Saltzman, H.A., and West, J.B., 1974 Measurement of continuous distribution of ventilation-perfusion ratios: Theory, J.Appl.Physiol. 36:588–599.Google Scholar