Low Power RF Beam Control Electronics for the LEB
Beam Control Electronics for the Low Energy Booster (LEB) should provide a fine reference phase and frequency for the High Power RF System. Corrections applied on the frequency of the rf signal will reduce dipole synchrotron osculations due to power supply regulation errors, errors in frequency source or errors in the cavity voltage. It will allow programmed beam radial position control throughout the LEB acceleration cycle. Furthermore the rf signal provides necessary corrections during adiabatic capture of the beam as injected into the LEB by the Linac and will guarantee LEB rf phase synchronism with the Medium Energy Booster (MEB) rf at a programmed time in the LEB cycle between a unique LEB bucket and a unique MEB bucket. We show in this paper a matured design and possible interfaces with other subsystems of the LEB such as the beam instrumentation, High Power RF Stations, global accelerator controls and the precision timing system. The outline of various components of the beam control system is also presented followed by some test results.
KeywordsRadial Position Digital Signal Processor Beam Control Target Marker Direct Digital Synthesizer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D.J. Martin et al., “Early Instrumentation Projects at the SSC,” 2nd International Industrial Symposium on the Super Collider, Miami, March 14-16, 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.L.K. Mestha et al., “Early Stages in the Development of the Global RF Feedback for the SSC Low Energy Booster,” 3rd International Industrial Symposium on the Super Collider, Atlanta, Georgia, March 13-15, 1991.Google Scholar
- 3.R.C. Webber, “Longitudinal Emittance, An Introduction to the Concept and Survey of Measurement Techniques Including Design of a Wall Current Monitor,” AIP Conference Proceedings, 212, Accelerator Instrumentation, Upton, NY 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.G. Roberto et al., “Log-Ratio Technique for Beam Position Monitor Systems,” EPAC, Berlin, 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.L.K. Mestha et al., “A Digital Beam Phase Loop for the Low Energy Booster,” Proceedings of the IEEE Particle Accelerator Conference, Washington, D.C., May 17-20, 1993.Google Scholar