A Data Collection System for the SDC Straw Tube Tracker
The Solenoid Detector Collaboration (SDC) has proposed to construct and operate a large, general-purpose, solenoidal detector that combines excellent charged particle detection, a hermetic, scintillator-based calorimeter and a large muon identification system.1 A principle component of the SDC detector is the outer tracker that provides precise momentum measurement of charged particles from a radius of 85 cm to 165 cm from the proton beam. The outer tracker front-end electronics capture and digitize the data it produces and a data collection circuit (DCC) collects this data and passes it to the SDC data acquisition (DAQ) system. We describe in this article the specifications and design of the outer tracker DCC.
KeywordsData Packet Buffer Space Straw Tube Outer Tracker Data Collection Issue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The SDC Collaboration, “SDC Technical Design Report,” SSCL-SR-1215 (1992).Google Scholar
- 2.F. Newcomer, R. Van Berg, II. Williams, S. Tedja, and J. Van Der Speigel, “Front End Signal Processing Electronics for the SDC Straw Tracking System/’ these proceedings.Google Scholar
- 4.A. IIölscher, K. Ragan, P. Sinervo, G. Stairs and K. Strahl, “Data Collection Circuit for the SDC Straw Tube Tracker,” UTPT-92-15 (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.The Verilog simulation and modeling language is available from Cadence Design.Google Scholar
- 6.See, for example, A. W. Booth et al., SSCL-SR-1148, June 1992, and E. Hughes et al., “Modeling and Simulation of the SDC Data Collection Chip,” IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. April 1992.Google Scholar