Experimental Cell Transplantation and Gene Therapy Techniques in the Treatment of Liver Disease
Whole organ transplantation remains the only clinically effective method of treating acute and chronic liver failure due to specific genetic and other defects of liver function. However, there are several factors which limit the application of liver transplantation in the treatment of liver insufficiency: high cost, relatively high morbidity and limited organ donor availability. As a result, investigators have attempted to develop alternative methods to treat liver insufficiency due to genetic defects of liver function by using either isolated normal hepatocyte transplantation and/or in vitro and in vivo gene therapy techniques.
KeywordsCatheter Ischemia Albumin Bromide Electrophoresis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arepally, G., Felcher, A., Moscioni, A.D., Demetriou, A.A., 1988, Proliferation of intraperitoneally transplanted microcarrier-attached liver cells. Surg. Forum. 39:396.Google Scholar
- Demetriou, A.A., Whiting, J., Feldman, D. Levenson, S.M., Moscioni, A.D., Kram, M., Chowdhury, N.R., Chowdhury, J.R., 1986a, Replacement of liver function in rats with specific inherited metabolic errors by transplantation of microcarrier-attached hepatocytes. Science 233:1190.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Holzman, M.D., Rozga,J. Neuzil, D., Griffin, D., Moscioni, A.D., Demetriou, A.A. Intraportal hepatocyte transplantation and expression of albumin synthesis in vivo in analbuminemic rats. Transplantation (Submitted).Google Scholar
- Mito, M., Kusano, M., Onishi, T., Saito, T., Ebata, H. 1978, Hepatocellular transplantation. Gastroenterol. Japan 13:480.Google Scholar
- Moscioni, A.D., Rozga, J., Neuzil, D., Overrel, R.W., Holt, J.T., Demetriou, A.A. In vivo regional deli very of retrovirally-mediated foreign genes to rat liver cells: Need for partial hepatectomy for successful foreign gene expression. Surgery (In Press).Google Scholar
- Neuzil, D., Holzman, M., Rozga, J., Griffin, D., Moscioni, A.D., Demetriou, A.A. Transplantation of transduced fibroblasts in rats; function of retrovirally-mediated foreign genes. J. Surg. Res. (Submitted).Google Scholar
- Phay, J., Felcher, A., Levenson, S.M., Demetriou, A.A., 1988, Prolongation of function of transplanted microcarrier-attached hepatocytes by ultraviolet irradiation. Surg. Forum 39:398.Google Scholar
- Rozga, J., Bellew, T., Moscioni, A.D., Williams, R.F., Demetriou, A.A., 1991, Transplantation of microencapsulated hepatocytes into analbuminemic rats. Surg. Forum 42:419.Google Scholar